America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011

To compile our list of America’s most dangerous cities, we used the FBI’s uniform crime report for 2010, which tallies crime data for each of the country’s metropolitan statistical areas, regions that usually consist of a large city and its suburbs or nearby cities. Because small fluctuations in crime numbers can produce outsize jumps in rates in smaller metropolitan areas, we looked at MSAs with a population of 200,000 or more. We used the FBI’s numbers for four categories of violent crimes: murder and non-negligent manslaughter; forcible rape; robbery; and aggravated assault....

#5 Anchorage, AK
Population: 313,181

#4 Flint, MI
Population: 419,608

#3 Springfield, IL
Population: 206,601

#2 Memphis, TN
Memphis TN-MS-AR Metropolitan Statistical Area
Population: 1,313,722

#1 Detroit, MI
Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI Metropolitan District
Population: 1,895,974

Is Springfield dangerous because of the Simpson family? :)

Is Springfield dangerous because of the Simpson family? :)

Could be...Lord knows Homer all by himself could make a place the most dangerous... but then no one is actually sure which Springfield they live it :D

Springfield, Alabama
Springfield, Arkansas
Springfield, California
Springfield, Colorado
Springfield, Florida
Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida, a neighborhood of Jacksonville
Springfield, Georgia
Springfield, Idaho
Springfield, Illinois, the state capital of Illinois Springfield, Illinois metropolitan area

Springfield, Indiana, an unincorporated community
Springfield, Kentucky
Springfield, Louisiana
Springfield, Maine
Springfield, Maryland
Springfield, Massachusetts, the first Springfield settled in America Springfield, Massachusetts metropolitan area

Springfield, Michigan, a city in Calhoun County
Springfield, Minnesota, in Brown County
Springfield, Missouri, the largest Springfield in the United States Springfield, Missouri Metropolitan Area

Springfield, Nebraska
Springfield, New Hampshire
Springfield, New Jersey
Springfield/Belmont, Newark, New Jersey, a neighborhood of Newark
Springfield, New York
Springfield, North Carolina
Springfield, Ohio
Springfield, Oregon
Springfield, Pennsylvania
Springfield, South Carolina
Springfield, South Dakota
Springfield, Tennessee
Springfield, Texas, Jim Wells County
Springfield, Limestone County, Texas, former town and county seat, now part of Fort Parker State Park
Springfield, Vermont
Springfield, Virginia
Springfield, West Virginia
Springfield, Dane County, Wisconsin
Springfield, Jackson County, Wisconsin
Springfield, Marquette County, Wisconsin
Springfield, St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Springfield, Walworth County, Wisconsin

Cities can be big places, like L.A. for example. There's some fun places to go in L.A, places that cover many square miles, and there's places that even cold blooded murders won't go near if they don't live there. Same applies to most big cities I know.

I lived in Dearborn Detroit for a year when I was studying. I got my purse snatched yes and but mostly I got along fine.

Crime statistics are a good indicator and but certainly do not paint the entire picture. Unfortunately snapshot summaries like these ones can indirectly affect the attitudes of would-be investors and businesses and spur and further the downward social spirals. I sometimes do not know who is benefitted by these statistics. Those in dire environs do not need reminded. Those others are put off from going there and bringing jobs and investment.

Latest Discussions

Back