Get fit first???

SapphireStar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agree with Stonecold - ask the husband to go with you and if he doesn't, then tell him to get stuffed and you go on your own.

I started doing Tai Chi about 3 months ago. It was the basic calm, slow class of doing the movements to build strength and flexibility. Then I switched to a martial arts studio where the Tai Chi is also taught with the reason we do those moves; i.e. defense. I LOVE IT !!

Go visit the studios first, talk to the instructors and tell them what you want out of a class. Everyone else is right also, go at your own pace and limits. Gradually you will get stronger and be able to push yourself further. I can walk the mile/20 mins or less and have done yoga for about a year.

When you find an art and an instructor you like, you will want to work hard and find that you do enjoy the class. If you used to be a gymnast, you might like Tai Chi Chuan.

Please come back and share with us what type of class you choose and your progress. Good luck!! You can do this!

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much what everyone else said. Just go train. I would add the caveat that you talk with the instructor first and let him know any restrictions, injuries, and dings you may have. Speaking from experience, waiting until "you're ready" tends to be self defeating. Go, do your best, and you'll tend to find that you progress fairly quickly. And if it makes you feel better when the 150 pound 20 year olds are leaping about, remember force equals mass times acceleration. At the least, it makes me feel better about my own abundance of mass. . . :rofl:

Matt

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you wait until you're in shape, you may never make it - it is hard to stay motivated without any guidance. The Classes will do it for you.

White Belt
Reaction score
You need both so do both!

Some people say they train to get fit, others say they get fit so they can train better. I agree with the latter!

Being fitter certainly helps you make more of your training sessions so don't rely on your classes to get you fit, try and get fit yourself inbetween classes as it will help you loads!

So do both, don't put off starting your classes until you feel fit, get into it as soon as you can...but also try and and get fit in the mean-time...the two work hand in hand!

For example, i do Ninjutsu which is not as physically demanding (class-wise) as other arts, but i also do kickboxing which is absolutely exhausting, though i do run and do conditioning sessions too so that when i do take part in a hard class, i can make the most of it and not be stood with a stitch wheezing (which still does happen lol)

Latest Discussions