Help with Info

vandiepen145

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I am a college student. I am conducting research for my senior project.

My task: I am supposed to identify the behaviors and motivations of martial arts practitioners.

I hope that some of you will be willing to answer a few questions below to help me understand participants involved in martial arts. If you feel that there is any other information that might be helpful, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

There are no right or wrong answers, please answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Questions: (Thank you all for your time and willingness to help me!)

1) How did you first become interested in martial arts?

2) What discipline did you decide to practice?

3) Why did you choose that specific discipline over the other disciplines?

4) What is your skill level within your martial arts discipline?

5) What other things do you like to do? (When you're not in the gym/dojo, what else do you like to do with your time? This can be physical or nonphysical passtimes)

6) What are the first 3 martial arts related brands that come to your mind. (FIRST, not BEST).

7) How do you decide what martial arts gear/equipment to get? (How do you select one type or brand over another?)

8) Roughly how often to you buy new martial arts equipment?

9) Where do you get your equipment from? Is there a reason for this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a marketing project

He's already tried asking questions about what martial arts equipment we buy/use and got answers, I'm not sure why he needs more or why he thinks you can understand us by seeing what we buy.
Might be best to get MT's permission to do a proper survey, usually they are confidential for academic studies.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will try better answers this time.

1) Movies
2) 'Self-Defence'
3) Availability, content and training method.
4) 'Black Belt'
5) Reading
6) Punchtown, Everlast, Sandee.
7) Price, aesthetics and (apparent) quality
8) Once per year
9) Online, for commodity and large choice

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It all started with my friend and his ice cream store.
What discipline did you decide to practice?
The one where old people do it like your grandma easiest way to get cookies.
Why did you choose that specific discipline over the other disciplines?
Because I am nerd and like nerd things.
What is your skill level within your martial arts discipline?
Terrible and laughable but don't tell my students.only my teacher knows how bad I am.
What other things do you like to do? (When you're not in the gym/dojo, what else do you like to do with your time? This can be physical or nonphysical passtimes)
Frequent urination some say is a medical condition I say it's just natures way of giving me a new hobby.
What are the first 3 martial arts related brands that come to your mind. (FIRST, not BEST).
Chuck Norris and two more Chuck Norris'norrises?
How do you decide what martial arts gear/equipment to get? (How do you select one type or brand over another?)
I choose by which Chinese girl looks cutest in making my gear in China duh!
Roughly how often to you buy new martial arts equipment?
When my wife let's me.
Where do you get your equipment from? Is there a reason for this?
China because it's cheap.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninja Turtles

No idea, I was pretty young. It was what was available and my parents signed me up for at the time.

Again, I didn't really choose. As I got older I just did the things that interested me.

Supreme Ninja Warrior Level 12

5) What other things do you like to do? (When you're not in the gym/dojo, what else do you like to do with your time? This can be physical or nonphysical passtimes)

I think I pretty much live in my gym at this point...

6) What are the first 3 martial arts related brands that come to your mind. (FIRST, not BEST).

Innovative Martial Arts (my gym :D), Century, Gorilla

7) How do you decide what martial arts gear/equipment to get? (How do you select one type or brand over another?)

Quality, availability, price, customer service, all the usual suspects.

Every other week or so I'm ordering stuff.

Century & Gorilla.

Century has been good to me and makes pretty good stuff at good prices. Gorilla is local and makes some really good stuff, plus the owner hand delivers it too me and we occasionally get to beat on each other :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello. I am a college student. I am conducting research for my senior project.

My task: I am supposed to identify the behaviors and motivations of martial arts practitioners.

I hope that some of you will be willing to answer a few questions below to help me understand participants involved in martial arts. If you feel that there is any other information that might be helpful, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

There are no right or wrong answers, please answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Questions: (Thank you all for your time and willingness to help me!)

I'd watch Bruce Lee movies in this small theater in Harlem while eating popcorn with chopsticks

Kung Fu under Master Thomas Ikeda

The Master was available and it was Kung Fu, like Bruce Lee, but, I know it sounds strange because I know it was Kung Fu, but Master Ikeda dressed in Japanese garb and appeared to practice Kyudo. Strange, right?

Mastery. My greatest rival could manifest his chi into his hands, making them appear to glow red and that motivated me to learn to manifest my chi throughout my entire body, making it appear to glow gold.

Besides teaching Kung Fu, I feel honor bound to help my father as a server at his Pizzaria.

Vanity. Ernie Reyes Jr. and Faith Prince

I usually just use improvised stuff. Trashcans, tires, etc. But sometimes it's whatever is donated to me.

New? We're too poor to buy new equipment. I saw a movie about painting fences and waxing cars once.

It's mostly re-purposed or donated. Not much money in Harlem what with the Shogun and all.

Latest Discussions