MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
German Gov To Ban Paintballing After Shooting on Friday May 08, @10:15PM

Posted by samzenpus on Friday May 08, @10:15PM
from the we-all-fall-down dept.

whoever57 writes "In response to the school shooting in March in which 16 people were killed, the German Government plans to ban all games in which players shoot at each other with pellets. The rationale for this is that 'paintball trivializes violence and risks lowering the threshold for committing violent acts.' Fines could be up to 5,000 euros."
Read More... 15 comments

ok..... proof that stupidity isn't just an American thing.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if one of our politicians has already proposed a similar bill at some point in time.....

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about boys playing "soldier".."cops and robbers"...swinging branches at each other pretending that they are "Knights"??

Ridiculous.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very. Then again, I've read articles where kids in US schools were expelled for violating the "Zero Tolerance" weapons policy for making guns from their hands and going "bang".

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if one of our politicians has already proposed a similar bill at some point in time.....

Back in the nineties, a bunch of us had tickets to UFC in Buffalo -- until it was banned by Gov Pataki because of the brutality. Pataki, by the way, was pro death penalty, but apparently he felt the UFC was too much for New Yorkers' delicate sensibilities.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Germany is a ban-happy kind of place. It doesn't surprise me. Scientology is banned, although I must admit I can't summon too much outrage over that one. Any depictions of Nazi symbols are banned, which is why versions of Nazi shooting games like Call of Duty or Return to Castle Wolfenstein must be modified to remove the swastikas on flags and uniforms before the games can be sold there. Other things are heavily regulated that are not regulated here like herbs and other natural remedies.

It's just a very different culture. Sort of amusing when you consider what they were like 60 years ago.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that this is how the Nazi party got the power that it did.

LOLWUT? The Nazis did not come to power because the German people were ban-happy 60 years ago. Come on. If anything, the German people are ban-happy because of the Nazis.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Banning paintball will end school shootings? Who knew? Perhaps getting rid of bumper cars at fairs and festivals will make the Autobahn accident free.

I lived in Germany for years while in the Army, and I think to be accurate we have to avoid stereotypes of them. The country is not the cast of Hogan's Heroes. Need I remind this assembly that we have plenty of ban happy politicians right here?

Last edited:

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Banning paintball will end school shootings? Who knew? Perhaps getting rid of bumper cars at fairs and festivals will make the Autobahn accident free.

I lived in Germany for years while in the Army, and I think to be accurate we have to avoid stereotypes of them. The country is not the cast of Hogan's Heroes. Need I remind this assembly that we have plenty of ban happy politicians right here?

I spent some time over there as well but I have to be honest, I did not follow the German politics. I was wayyyy to busy drinking good beer and chasing German chicks as any good soldier should...

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep ban paintball. That will reduce crime. Ban violent games, that will surely reduce crime... or so they think.

But here is what it will do. Those that have violent personality problems will not have the outlets they used to have. So they will either go underground to live out their violent fantasies, OR THEY WILL KILL PEOPLE AND ANIMALS to live out their fantasies.

You see, the paintball and violent games were mealy symptoms. They are not the disease. The disease is still there, festering.

You cannot cure a person from cancer by treating the symptoms. You must find the cancer.

Deaf

Latest Discussions