Hey everyone

Nick Soapdish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just signing in to get a feel for the internet martial arts community.

This seems to be one of the most active, non-argumentative forums I was able to find. Glad to see little of "my martial art can beat up your martial art" talk here, at least not where it's not wanted.

If you guys have any pointers or places I should read to get acquainted, I'd be most appreciative.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Nick!

We can get argumentative, but we try to at least keep it civil most of the time.

Tell us about yourself. I see from your profile that you're a Bujinkan practitioner. Who do you train with?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. You'll find some very knowledgeable people here. A few nutters, but we try to keep them medicated...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome! Non argumentative? Mmm. Maybe, maybe not. Medicated? Perhaps an increased dose is warranted in some cases. ;) Anyway, I'll look forward to your contribution.
:wavey:

OP
Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the greetings, all.

I live in Oregon and train in Bujinakan under Mark Vandehey and one of his students. I just returned from living in Japan for 4 years though and was able to train semi-regularly with Nagato sensei primarily.
I just started teaching my own classes, which has taught me A LOT about what I don't know. I've probably learned more than my students up to this point.

I've trained in Taekwando, Praying Mantis Kung Fu, and some Jujutsu in the past before ending up in Bujinkan.

I'm hoping I can get some ideas for classes, and some different viewpoints on the martial arts in general from people here. Always like to hear what people like dislike about Bujinkan, and like to hear why people have chosen the martial art they practice.

OP
Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll contribute what I can, and try to avoid the need for medication. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just signing in to get a feel for the internet martial arts community.

This seems to be one of the most active, non-argumentative forums I was able to find. Glad to see little of "my martial art can beat up your martial art" talk here, at least not where it's not wanted.

If you guys have any pointers or places I should read to get acquainted, I'd be most appreciative.

Welcome!

And just so you know, my art CAN beat up your art. :D

Where in Oregon are you?

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Best way to get ideas for classes when your starting out is exposure to other teachers and styles.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping I can get some ideas for classes, and some different viewpoints on the martial arts in general from people here. Always like to hear what people like dislike about Bujinkan ...

As a former member of the Bujinkan (from about 1984-1993) I have my personal list of issues with the system. However this forum frowns on style bashing and I have no desire to annoy my current Bujinkan friends by publicly airing my criticisms. Feel free to PM me if you want details.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. You'll find some very knowledgeable people here. A few nutters, but we try to keep them medicated...

Who needs medication when you got a good beating stick :whip:, much more fun :D

And besides they make everyone else seem smart by comparison :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and happy posting.

And sticks are for wussies, a good old club is what works!
attachment.php

Latest Discussions