G'day from Down Under

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of. When the different styles got 'translated' to English, it was fifty/fifty whether kenpo or kempo would be chosen, from how I understand it, but once one was chosen it stuck. And would continue down that way through a lineage. Because of that it can become an important way to distinguish when talking about different styles.

Pretty sure that's how the change between kenpo/kempo worked, it's been a while since I've had reason to think about it. Anyone with a different understanding, feel free to correct me.
I believe it has to do with the written translation from the kanji into the Roman alphabet. I recall hearing that due to some translation issue it is supposed to be spelled with an m, but is pronounced with an n, which causes people to want to spell it with an n.

Honestly, I think it does not matter.

OP
G

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with the written translation from the kanji into the Roman alphabet. I recall hearing that due to some translation issue it is supposed to be spelled with an m, but is pronounced with an n, which causes people to want to spell it with an n.

Honestly, I think it does not matter.
I think it is actually the other way around, as there is no single standing 'm' in japanese alphabet, but there is an 'n'.
And anyway the pronounciation in Japanese I find quite complicated, as the same signs can be spelled and pronounced in different ways depending on context. Not to mention it can differ depending on the region.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it is actually the other way around, as there is no single standing 'm' in japanese alphabet, but there is an 'n'.
And anyway the pronounciation in Japanese I find quite complicated, as the same signs can be spelled and pronounced in different ways depending on context. Not to mention it can differ depending on the region.
After I made that post, it also occurred to me that I might have that turned around.

At any rate, I believe it is a translation issue that causes the spelling variation.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello!
hello-puppy.gif

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

After search for some nice MA forum I decided to join here.

My serious adventure with martial arts started in Jan this year with Kenpo, thou I also considered Krav Maga, but eventually decided on the Japanese MA.
(I say serious, because I always wanted to do it, but was lacking opportunity and courage to join ;))

I hope to have a good time here, meet nice people, learn interesting stuff.

Welcome to MT. Look forward to your input.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

After search for some nice MA forum I decided to join here.

My serious adventure with martial arts started in Jan this year with Kenpo, thou I also considered Krav Maga, but eventually decided on the Japanese MA.
(I say serious, because I always wanted to do it, but was lacking opportunity and courage to join ;))

I hope to have a good time here, meet nice people, learn interesting stuff.

Glad to have you here!