Game: Annoying things to do in the Dojo!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep asking to see the technique again immediately after the instructor shows it.

Especially if the uke looks like it hurts.

HAHAHAHA I have done that to a couple of folks in class. I am guilty! ;) Of course the uke is always one of the regulars and they generally know what we are up to when we do that, cause we are usually grinning from ear to ear! :rofl:

Let's see that one again! :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA I have done that to a couple of folks in class. I am guilty! ;) Of course the uke is always one of the regulars and they generally know what we are up to when we do that, cause we are usually grinning from ear to ear! :rofl:

Let's see that one again! :D
Sometimes when I'm teaching and I see this going on, I'll turn the tables on the student asking to see the technique again by bringing them up to replace the original uke, under the pretext, "so [insert original uke's name] can see the technique..." :p

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my training partner in an armbar. My instructor comes over and squats down facing me with his *** over my partner's face. He says, "Okay, now what you want to do is..." and rips a big fart right in my partner's face. :lol:

I would say that is worse than when Jack Hoban shoved his fingers up my nose and into my gums while he had me pinned to the mat! :lol:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm teaching and I see this going on, I'll turn the tables on the student asking to see the technique again by bringing them up to replace the original uke, under the pretext, "so [insert original uke's name] can see the technique..." :p

I am always eager to be uke! So it would work to my advantage, wouldn't it? :p However that is how most instructors I have trained with would handle it. I am usually very quick to offer being uke. I prefer to feel it than see it from the sidelines.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am always eager to be uke! So it would work to my advantage, wouldn't it? :p However that is how most instructors I have trained with would handle it. I am usually very quick to offer being uke. I prefer to feel it than see it from the sidelines.
Me too. Sometimes it comes back to bite you:
Example #1: I volunteered to be Ralph Severe's uke at a seminar in PA. He proceeded to put me in a choke with a hanbo and throw me by my neck.
Example #2: On a Japan trip, Hatsumi sensei had used everyone in my group but me as uke, so it became a running joke with us that he was "ducking me." On our last day there, we were training at Ayase. Hatsumi sensei showed a technique and told us to "go play." I turned to my partner and said, "Yep, he's still ducking me." My partner gets this huge grin on his face and says, "Here he comes." I turn around and Hatsumi sensei walks up to me and gestures for me to grap his lapel. I do so, and he attacks the side of one of my fingers with his thumbnail. It hurt so bad I couldn't even yell, and instantly went to my knees. The whole group got a good laugh out of that one.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too. Sometimes it comes back to bite you:
Example #1: I volunteered to be Ralph Severe's uke at a seminar in PA. He proceeded to put me in a choke with a hanbo and throw me by my neck.
Example #2: On a Japan trip, Hatsumi sensei had used everyone in my group but me as uke, so it became a running joke with us that he was "ducking me." On our last day there, we were training at Ayase. Hatsumi sensei showed a technique and told us to "go play." I turned to my partner and said, "Yep, he's still ducking me." My partner gets this huge grin on his face and says, "Here he comes." I turn around and Hatsumi sensei walks up to me and gestures for me to grap his lapel. I do so, and he attacks the side of one of my fingers with his thumbnail. It hurt so bad I couldn't even yell, and instantly went to my knees. The whole group got a good laugh out of that one.

Probably about as hard as I am laughing now, that was great!:D Yes, I agree it can bite you sometimes! Part of the training is learning when NOT to say anything and hope they don't call you out. :rofl:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Use an uncapped red biro as a substitute knife in knife defence applications. My sparring partner did this once and i ended up with red scrawls half way up my arm!