What is your favorite stupid statement?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me give you an example of what I mean - there are lots of sleeping medications being advertised lately, and they all list side effects... including drowsiness! Now, isn't that kind of the point of sleeping medications?

This kind of goes along the lines of stupid product warnings - pictures also welcome! See below for examples, and look here for more examples.

Attachments

• $040114_warning_7.hmedium.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 171
  • $Zone_Stupid_Dog.jpg
    $Zone_Stupid_Dog.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 148
  • $bstn196l.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 160
  • $Warning%20Falling%20Rocks.jpg
    $Warning%20Falling%20Rocks.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 172

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite stupid product warning was a graphic on a pair of ski boots that depicted them in a big dutch oven full of boiling water, inside a circle with a diagonal slash running through it. Like, sorry mate! No Rossignol stew for you this winter!! :D

I also appreciated a sign on the back of a shop in a shopping strip in Columbus that read, `No trespassing without permission'.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My lawnmower has a sticker that warns against putting fingers under the deck while it's running. I'm sure some of these stupid warnings are the result of and a defense against stupid lawsuits. Like some bonehead trying to trim his hedges with his pushmower and instead cut off his fingers when he tried to get a good handle on the thing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Thwack!*

*Thwack Thwack!*

stupid_signs4.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know you are but what am I?

image_81b25c9c4b69d2e6f2c059d546d2ca47.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep. Back up to paying $40.00 a tank

GasOMG.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favourite 'product warning' has to be the one that appears on bags of peanuts ... "Warning. May Contain Nuts" :confused: :lol:

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK not sure if this fits here... Its more of a WTF/WHY question.

Have you ever wondered why they have "Brail" signs at the "Drive Up" ATM machines? Maybe I'm stupid but I just don't get it?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favourite 'product warning' has to be the one that appears on bags of peanuts ... "Warning. May Contain Nuts" :confused: :lol:

The really bad side of that warning is that the implication—that the bag of peanuts only may contain nuts—is probably quite true. Who knows what those things in that bag really are??? :uhohh:

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK not sure if this fits here... Its more of a WTF/WHY question.

Have you ever wondered why they have "Brail" signs at the "Drive Up" ATM machines? Maybe I'm stupid but I just don't get it?

Here is another one that doesn't really fit...why does the fast food chain "Sonic" have hanicapped parking spaces?!?!?!?

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am told, but have never verified for myself that the M18 Claymore mine bears a product warning "Do Not Eat". This is apparently due to the fact that the packaging is similar in size to the MRE's that the soldiers carry with them.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's two more and then I'm done...

"You can't put feathers on a dog and call it a chicken!" - Dr. Phil

...and...

"A cat can have kittens in a oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits!" -Quanell X, Houston area civil rights leader.

Funny how both quotes say the same thing, but they sound stupid out of the original context.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is less of a stupid statement and more of a pointless one. Why do Band-Aids state that their products are sterile? Can you buy them with diseases built into the padding?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's two more and then I'm done...

"You can't put feathers on a dog and call it a chicken!" - Dr. Phil

...and...

"A cat can have kittens in a oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits!" -Quanell X, Houston area civil rights leader.

Funny how both quotes say the same thing, but they sound stupid out of the original context.

But there really is a difference. Quanell X is right, but Dr. Phil is wrong: you can put feathers on a dog and call it a chicken... doing so would take us from the realm of stupid statements to that of stupid actions, but ... :lol:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a statement I've heard too often, especially from pro-athletes and even their coaches; usually as a reaction to something negative brought up in a press conference:

"It is what it is."

Come on guys! We realize you aren't Norman Einsteins, but please say something smarter than that!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Sign recently noticed in one of my favorite Santa Fe restaurants:

"Braille Menus Available Upon Request"

(Yes, I recognize the expectation is that if, say- I were dining with a blind person, I'd request the menu, but the incongruity had me laughing....)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a statement I've heard too often, especially from pro-athletes and even their coaches; usually as a reaction to something negative brought up in a press conference:

"It is what it is."

Come on guys! We realize you aren't Norman Einsteins, but please say something smarter than that!

At least they're not saying `It is what it isn't' or `It isn't what it is'... be thankful for small mercies!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The really bad side of that warning is that the implication—that the bag of peanuts only may contain nuts—is probably quite true. Who knows what those things in that bag really are??? :uhohh:

Schrodinger's Warning Label - This package may contain nuts, or nothing at all. Or both.

Latest Discussions