Gadgets Apple 'User-Proofing' iPhones With Unremovable Screws, Sources Say

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apple is replacing iPhone screws -- but it may be the consumers who are really getting screwed.
In line with its infamous philosophy of maintaining absolute control over its products, sources said U.S. Apple stores are replacing screws on iPhone 4s brought for servicing with tamper-proof screws to prevent anyone else from opening the device.
Kyle Wiens, chief executive of iFixit, a prominent Apple repair and parts supplier, said the purpose of the new screws is to keep people out of the iPhone and prevent them from replacing the battery. He said he noticed in November that screws were being switched.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/21/apple-iphones-unremovable-pentalobe-screws/?test=faces

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to question the legality of this.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something in the back of my head says that locking oyu out of your own property, or forcing you to only go to them for service is an issue. Vague feeling, but one I'm content to ignore unless I get an iPhone. Then, I'll figure out how to get the thing opened. Then again, if I'm feeling evil, I might pop into my local Apple store and ask them for some spare screws. lol.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
one reason why I won't have anything Apple...don't even like Quicktime movie player...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grrrr.

I'm still pissed that that new iOS requires the new iTunes ... which requires the new OS ... which doesn't work on older Apples.

My employer is in no hurry to update my desktop or laptop, consequently, my contact lists (I had been keeping my contact list synched on my desktop and iPhone — was great for work) are now un-synchable.