fun with greenies

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't have time to watch it right now. Does he show the people circulating the petition to ban Dihydrogen monoxide? (Water)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, that was Penn and Teller. Steven Crowder is pretty funny. He goes through the kyoto treaty a little and then asks how a couple of the environmental activists got to Cancun, of course they all flew. He points to the poverty in the local communities that won't change if the draconian policies are followed. It is a clever piece.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So because you refuse to believe that there could be climate change you think it's all very amusing?
There is a definite change happening in our climate, it's been observed by naturalists and scientists here so it really isn't a laughing matter. The cause may be open to debate, it may be a natural occurance as has happened many times or it could be man made, it could be a mixture of both. However what should be clear is that whether global warming is man made or not, it is of deep concern to many in the world who could lose their island homes, here in the UK just one tiny aspect is that as it gets warmer we could lose the mountain butterflies who thrive in a cooler climate. there are of course far greater concerns than losing one species of butterflies...perhaps. Whether global warming is caused by us or not it cannot surely be good to pump out pollutants into the air. So that fact that you find it oh so amusing that there are people who are actually trying to help rather than sit on their backsides smirking, is rather sad really. Perhaps these people are tilting at windmills but at least they are willing to try something and they don't have smug sod written across their foreheads.

So right wingers, what are you going to do about the islands in the Indian ocean then? laugh?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't have time to watch it right now. Does he show the people circulating the petition to ban Dihydrogen monoxide? (Water)
That's right up there with having as many women as you can sign a petition to end women's sufferage. Its all in the presentation.
Sean

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually believe in global warming. In fact, as I have stated elsewhere, temperatures in North America will rise by about 50 degrees by June. I'm not sure how we will survive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually believe in global warming. In fact, as I have stated elsewhere, temperatures in North America will rise by about 50 degrees by June. I'm not sure how we will survive.

Tres amusant.

You know I really admire people who actually try to do something to help their fellow man, even if it's in vain or their fellow man doesn't want helping. I like people who have passion and will get off their arses to do something they believe in. I can't stand those people however who can do nowt but jeer, sneer and generally make knobs of themselves in their cynicism. I like idealists, those who campaign even if I don't agree with their politics, I like people who think they can make a difference, those who were/are pioneers in their chosen careers, those who don't take the easy road. I admire those who stand up for they think is right and those who won't bow down.

How easy it is to sit in a comfortable life deriding others attempts to make the world a better place, at least they can say they tried which is a noble thing in itself.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes, Dahling, it's called Summer!

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Tez, I appreciate your passion for the cause and your admiration for those who get out there and do something about what they see as a serious problem. Those are noble charicteristics. It`s just that, as you said, we don`t know if the problem is natural, man-made, or a combination of both. Also, we assume that it`s cyclical, with the earth warming and cooling in a more or less regular cycle. If they presented it as a "pollution" problem rather than as a "Climate" problem I think far more people would take them seriously. People can see the effect of pollution easily and they feel they can do something about it. But who honestly thinks they can control the weather?

And if we can`t control it, we have to adapt to it. Just as we have for centuries. People and animals migrate to where conditions are better. (Politcally, financially, and environmentally) We always have. We know that average temeratures in the Renisance were much higher than they are now, and yet we still have polar bears and mountain butterflies today. And we know that during the 1800`s the average temps were much lower than they are today, with the Thames freezing over much more often than it does today for example. It`s not that we think that what climate activists are doing is foolish, it`s just that we trust that it`s not quite as desistating as they like to portray it.

I can no more prevent rising seas in the Idian Ocean than I can prevent hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. If I want to live there however I have to accept that there are risks associated with it and adapt myself to the conditions as best I can in order to limit the risks. That may mean leaving the island that was my home and moving on to a different place just as the Polynesians have been doing for centuries, and just as people throughout Europe and the US are doing today.

I hope I don`t come off as a condicending git. I meant what I said at the begining. I think that I understand your feelings and I respect them. And to an extent I can agree with you that it`s better to do something rather than sit and watch the world go by. I just don`t agree with thier reasoning and all of thier suggested courses of action.

With the utmost respect.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dave 43515 nice post. Tez 3, Idealism is why I post here on the forum. I am mocked, teased and made fun of, but I will stand by my beliefs and try to show people an alternate view of the world. It is small, but it is still important.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do something about global warming...why dont we do something about that darn solar cycle?

I believe in global warming, just like I believe there was an ice age. If another one of THOSE is coming (which are cyclical too) what are we supposed to DO about that? It smacks or either futility or enormous hubris.

And it's (GW) a tool for the politicians and people looking for power (either real or perceived) to pander to the tree huggers and the chicken littles in order to secure power/votes and money.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Rush mentioned on his show that there are German scientists that say we are seeing the beginnings of the next ice age.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is why it's called "climate change" instead of GW in some circles. Easier to cover all the bases that way.

Latest Discussions