Front snap kick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a real life or death stituation is the front snap kick the best defense of all the TKD kicks, is it faster and can it be delivered with more power than a roundhouse?
Terry

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In a life an death situation? Never been in one so i really couldn't say but i think a good roundhouse kick as a lot more power than a front snap kick plus it's easier to land. Although now that i think about it a front kick to the solar plexus can do a lot of damage.
So in my opinion? The technics i like the most are the simplest and fastest and these two fit the category very well, but it is easier to defend from a front kick, if the other guy reads you and turns is torso you may find yourself passing by him and exposing your back to him.

So whatever you do, don't be predictable and do follow through with your technics without overcommiting yourself. I know the line is very thin between these two but, hey that's why we pratice.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I found that the clocking kick of the twist kick is not only more powerfull but it deploys it to an almost undetectable launch to verious parts.Starting from the knee to the temples.It is a bit more difficult then most kicks but,well worth the time to practice.The Front snap has only one source of power(Unless you use step & kick or jump & kick)The twist uses both the hip axes-force of gravity-the snapping & tourqueing of the hips with the final snap of the knee to embed the kick.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe for some, but not for me. My front snap kick is pretty quick, but I haven't learned to put the max power into it yet. For me, I would agree with Nemesis, and I think the round kick would be my best bet. I grew up playing a lot of soccer and can get a lot of power into a round kick. I imagine a round kick to the side of the knee of the leg with a planted foot to start.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Play with a twist kick.It has the heigh & decption & will not be counterd.It is not that difficult for a some what skilled person to block or move from the side kick or the round kick.Watch kick boxing matches & see there are a lot that miss.So If these skilled fighters miss -Why leave room for some one to embelish on your error.Think of the kicks like this.Side kick is equal to the jab-the round is equal to hey maker type of punch & the twist is the hook.Harder to see on the eye plain of sight & fast as it envouvles the total body.The other 2 dont -they mostly deploy arm & shoulder.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting question, I guess whatever your natural first reaction would be the best kick, and I bet mine would be the front kick. However I know my roundhouse has more power than my front kick, but against an unexpected attack I would probably do a front kick to try to create some distance (push them back) and then run like heck.

cbursk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually I have been in a situation and I would say that front kicks saved my life. It is quick, simple and effective against keeping a would be attacker a bay. Just watch your lower belts and see which kick they can perfect better, faster - front kick or round kick? A front kick requires less balance control and coordination than a round kick.

Try doing each kick in your normal street clothes and see which one you feel more comfortable doing. I have found that many belts get an unpleasant surprise when they start trying to kick high or do twisting kicks that require pivoting, and suddenly discover that its not so easy with their boots, sneakers, whatever on. Street defense requires simple and quick.

#1 street defense? Be aware and don't let yourself be caught up in a stupid situation.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach a variation of the front snap kick that completely degates the chamber. At the first glance it looks like an easy kick to execute, but its more complicated than it appears. It involves hinging at the hipwith the leg slightly bent moving straight up to the groin.
Its strength is in the target and the fact that if you hit with the foot, shin or knee, then it works at almost all distances where you can grab or punch.

I teach this after teaching the traditional front snap kick, which I love as well!

My two cents...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
monkey said:
I found that the clocking kick of the twist kick is not only more powerfull but it deploys it to an almost undetectable launch to verious parts.Starting from the knee to the temples.It is a bit more difficult then most kicks but,well worth the time to practice.The Front snap has only one source of power(Unless you use step & kick or jump & kick)The twist uses both the hip axes-force of gravity-the snapping & tourqueing of the hips with the final snap of the knee to embed the kick.
It's pretty easy to sink your weight into a front kick, lending it stopping power that a twist kick really can't generate. (I think it has the advantage gravitywise) It also has the advantage of being very anatomically friendly.

The roundhouse has a similar problem though it's not as pronounced. If the hit doesn't cause a KO or sufficient damage, the attacker's still got forward momentum. A linear kick (front, back or side kick for example) has a better chance of arresting movement towards you. If that stops them enough for you to extract yourself, great. If not, at least you then still have distance to follow up with something else.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree The Twist is among favorates for kicking & stopping power by such notables as Hee Il Chow-Bong Soo Hans-Wong Joon Lee-Simon Rhee-Cynthia Rothrock-Michelle Yeoh-Jackie Chan-Samo Hung-& many others.Pick up Tae Kwon Do time & see many show veriations of the awsome power & decption of the Twist kick.Its the only kick that uses both X & Y axes of the hips.The front snap only uses the Y axe & the side uses the X axes.The gravitation is at max with the twist & it has no loss in bound motion or spinning or jump spinning.The twist kick can easly be done & is the only stelth or cloak kick there is.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dont forget that the kick dose not have to be above the waist and a front knick to the knee or groin is a good way to stop most people
you are moveing forward to throw punched (sometimes)in a fight so why not also use that movement to seliver the kick

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The forward motion in tae kwon do is called Bond.I stated that.But if your unfamiluar with the term.Now it has some meaning for you.So you see -i didnt forget.Look at the punch sure its ok when you bond forward. Try an upper cut.It dose not have to go to the head.It is still the same punch transplanted else were.Unless you are the original stylist,Who have an inside forarm block right hand to their inner arm.That same block now become outside forarm when its on the outter of thier arm but, done the same.You must know the anotomical structure of the body & the maximum it can use with little effort.Yes the front kick is good & easy to deploy.It becomes more of a push in most style,as Tkd jesn stated.Push & run.Now ask your self.If they were on something -a push will not deture an attack that is enraged & on something.You must shut them down.The Twist kick can be to the knee-ham string-floatint ribs-strernum-adoms apple-temple ect.Useing the toe as the wepon & with cowboy boots.This is the best kick for use to specific point.The side kick uses toomuch foot.The Ball can not focuse to any 1 presure point.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
don't want to argue the point but i have stoped a few in the street with a kick to the balls or knee and I don't push the kick I kick.
Not saying a twist kick will not do damage because it will but with all things done in a street fight it depends on when and how both kicks are deliveed and if the opponet is expecting a kick or not

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It also helps being double joined in the hips like me & others that made it so easy to do.I do like the front snap as Bruce showed us how to sudden step-burst-pendulum ect.So yes it has it entries.Longest wepon to the closest target.But the elusive hooking is what give the twist its heart & soul.Much like a curve ball in base ball.Sure the fast ball is fast & powerfull,but many hit from it.The curve is much harder.Same gose for the front snap.Lets just say for point of fact (the attacker did go to some semiar or martial lessons-this is not uncomon as street fighters escalate.)So they may have the how to block or step out of the way of the front snap.Hence the twist.Also if it is mulit attack-while you do a front snap to 1st attacker-using that motion to bound a twist to the 2nd.Its always good to change up.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had a good teach Master Wong Joon Lee.e made clear that we could bound off kicks-people & forward & back motion.I miss his.Great fun under people like that.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess it would have to depend on the target. I loke to use a modified roundhouse kick, looping downward roundhouse kick. Depending on what damages needed, it is applied to the front, side or back of the knee. Back of the knee just brings the attacker down. Side, will do slight-severe damge. And front should bust the knee. I really trun my upper bidy and hips into this kick and the then apply downward body weight as I complete the kick.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice-I like that.That comes from thai & is good,but dose 1 have time to deploy if the attacker is rushing.As a bouncher in bars ( from time to time) the point to use it .Becomes now legaly in did you use retrain,or was there exsive force.Was it life thretning enough for that.In Calif. our rules of combat stick & lean more twords the attacker.Hence if they dont see it-It didnt happen.Bruce Lee used it in Game of death & Enter the dragon quite often.Some may look like the hook or the side but slow down the motion & see Its a twist.Harder to see & cloaking.The thai kicks are indeed great.I love them If I dont have to worry.Multi attacks will use cloak kicks so others cant pick up your motin & use agianst you.I have to think fast & put it into the legal-moral & ethical ways.Can I leagaly - moraly -& ethicaly use thai kicks.Or do I cloak.I think Spoke said it best for Star Trek. The Bird of Prey that fires While it is cloaked is unstoppable.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a front kick is a must have in the tool box. Any variation to throw the kick as well. The kid that I'm giving sparring lessons to I've emphasized many times about using the front kick. He probably gets tired of doing them but he is improving each and every week.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is a good tool just as there oters are..ask your self Do you have the tools it takes to strip a racer & put togher in record time.Or are you relaying on a crecent.For sparring yes -yes- yes the front snap is good.It dose not work well in cage fights-attackers on drugs- or some one who may have nurve damage.These poeple will keep rushing & you cant always run away.They may have others waiting for just the such thing.I know After 8 yrs Army- the front snap is only a basic motion.Yes it can do damage just like the jab.Note boxers go ten rounds.Can you aford to do 10 rounds in the street.There are no belts-no rules-no whistles-no time out.To be safe or sorry.Kicking is like transportation.Let me explain-When Bruce asked me the best way to travle.I said plains.Then he said yes long distance but for a block maybe skates-walking-bike.You have to keep ypu options open & not rely o 1 hit or 1 kick.

Latest Discussions