Freeware

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I realize that a freeware version of ANYTHING would have less than the full version has to offer... that's okay and understandable.
Right now I'm trying to find a freeware version of a spyware adware removal program. I don't need it to scan and say you got this and that and 100 of these... that's obvious from the way my computer is running... what I want to do is REMOVE the suckers...
What's the point of offering a scan if it's not going to remove. Oh right to PAY for the removal... oh and the added bonus of having "real-time" protection against future threats.
Sigh...

Help

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain.

Imagine my discontent when, after I changed computers a few years back and was installing my softwares, I discovered that the source of the old computer's spyware illness was the copy of "Medieval: Total War" that I had bought at Wal-Mart!

Very upset. I enjoyed the game. The PC slowdown, not so much. Wish I could get a clean copy but damned if I'll BUY another copy from that company. I figure THEY owe ME.

Matthew McMullen

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to use Adaware and Spybot S&D until I got some malware on my computer that they couldn't remove. I tried Vipre and that was able to remove the malware so I went and purchased the program. It works and it is an active virus and malware scanner. AVG used to be good but I think there program has gotten worse in the past year. I have encountered systems running AVG that have gotten infected with up to date dats and the program slows down some systems.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There are growing reports of malware running on Linux machines out in the wild. Ubuntu is a good example of a Linux flavor that has been getting hit harder lately.

where are the reports? i've not seen on the news yet, and none of the linux forums i go to show there's spyware or malware for linux... i have seen some noob linux users get confused when they go to a website that shows a pop-up saying their C:\ is infected... and directs them to download a removal tool. so they post it on the forum. well linux doesn't have a C:\ and the "tool" only works on Windows anyway...

but i would like to know if there is real malware on linux, because it may or may not affect my computer.

Latest Discussions