Free agent Henderson defends his UFC salary demands

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10-28-2009 12:45 PM:

There will be no war of words. It's not in Dan Henderson's personality to flip out on the UFC and Dana White during this free agent negotiation period. Henderson's lawyer did meet with Strikeforce's Scott Coker last week. That fact was confirmed by White who happened to be eating at the same Los Angeles restaurant last Wednesday. White says the negotiations are dead between Hendo and the promotion, the fighter paints a more patient picture during the interview Canada's Sportsnet. White told the media at UFC 104 that his offer was huge and he be shocked if any other promotion can match it:

"He'd like to think that's true, you know I disagree. And feel like I'm worth more than they're offering. And I don't feel like I'm asking for way too much."

Some rumors unconfirmed rumors have place the number at $5 million per fight. White said Henderson is asking for more than anyone else in the UFC currently makes:

"I know that they've signed other deals that are a lot more than my deal or what I'm asking for. I'm always a fair guy and I'm not trying to hold anyone oer a barrel."

Henderson suggests it's closer than people think:

"Sure we're at a little bit of sticking point but either way I'm pretty confident I'll be fighting first of February."

Henderson said he's willing to walk from the UFC but he understands their position. He'll be at the Strikeforce event next week in Chicago cornering Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions