Dan Henderson interview: Happy to be with Strikeforce, CBS

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-07-2009 08:45 PM: Former Pride champion and UFC fighter Dan Henderson announced his signing with Strikeforce today, and he isn't seeing a downside to his new employer.

"I think what sums it up is, I'm happy with every aspect of the Strikeforce deal," Henderson told Cagewriter. "My image rights, the fight purse, and the fact that they're on CBS is pretty huge as well. It's a lot more eyes than a UFC PPV, or even a free fight on Spike. It doesn't get much better than having MMA on CBS."

Henderson said that there is also a possibility that he will be involved in the EA Sports MMA video game. He was not bothered by Dana White's comments about the signing, in which White said that he pushed Henderson into signing that deal.

"I think the fans have grown to realize and know how Dana is and who he is. He gets emotional sometimes, and he is who he is. He's done a lot of good things for the sport, but they know who he is. I couldn't imagine how he [let me go to Strikeforce] but that's fine if he did that. I'm happy where I'm at."

He is the only fighter to hold two Pride titles at two different weight classes, and he is open to moving up and down in weight for Strikeforce as he did for the UFC for any opponent that Strikeforce puts in front of him.

"They know how versatile I am, that I can fight at 185 or 205 or even heavyweight. It may or may not be for a title fight."

That even includes heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

"I'm not opposed to fighting anybody. I'm capable of beating anybody in the world at any weight class. It's just a matter of coming up with the right strategy, implementing that game plan, and feeling good that day."

Henderson is even open to returning to Japan, where he became a star fighting for Pride. Strikeforce has a partnership with Dream that could allow Henderson to fight for them.

"I would love to go fight in Japan maybe once a year, but we'll see how that works out. Obviously, this year is over, possibly some time next year."

At 39, Henderson believes that he has another two or three years left in his fighting career.

"It all depends on how my body feels. I've gotten smarter with my training through the years."

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.