Forum Update April 2021

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The issue appears to be hidden tags. When you backspace into that, you've deleted part of the end tag. You can cap it with [/ quote] (remove the space in that) to get back outside the quoted info. Likely some part of the tag will show up in the quoted info - you should see that in your quoted material, as I replicated what happened and used the end tag to close it again.

It's always a little dicey to monkey with code when you can't see it. You can "toggle the BB Code" by clicking on the three vertical dots menu on the right of the screen, and then the bracket option. Then you can actually see the code and adjust it as you suggest.

For example, doing that, I could see why when I tried to reply to your post, because you included the code (/quote) in your post, it didn't display correctly. But that was easy to fix by toggling the bb code.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 101132.JPG

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always a little dicey to monkey with code when you can't see it. You can "toggle the BB Code" by clicking on the three vertical dots menu on the right of the screen, and then the bracket option. Then you can actually see the code and adjust it as you suggest.

For example, doing that, I could see why when I tried to reply to your post, because you included the code (/quote) in your post, it didn't display correctly. But that was easy to fix by toggling the bb code.

View attachment 26709
Good find. I took a quick look, but didn't find that icon to show the tags.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue appears to be hidden tags. When you backspace into that, you've deleted part of the end tag. You can cap it with [/ quote] (remove the space in that) to get back outside the quoted info. Likely some part of the tag will show up in the quoted info - you should see that in your quoted material, as I replicated what happened and used the end tag to close it again.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I knew what I did (removing the closing tag) but I do not remember having it occur before the update.
It seems strange that I am even able to place my cursor into the previous comment.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue appears to be hidden tags. When you backspace into that, you've deleted part of the end tag. You can cap it with [/ QUOTE] (remove the space in that) to get back outside the quoted info. Likely some part of the tag will show up in the quoted info - you should see that in your quoted material, as I replicated what happened and used the end tag to close it again.
Thanks, I knew what I did (removing the closing tag) but I do not remember having it occur before the update.
It seems strange that I am even able to place my cursor into the previous comment.

Editing the 'quoted' post is something we've always been able to do. It just gets more differentiated if you keep the tags on. Websites nowadays like to hide them to make it look 'cleaner' when typing, but I prefer to leave them on so I know what is and isn't being tagged/quoted. If you click the little brackets next to the floppy disk you can see them again.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An bug I have recently encountered a few times; When typing a post if I inadvertently backspace past the first line of text the cursor jumps into the 'replied' section of the post and you cannot get the cursor back out. No matter what I try it ends up as another reply from OP. This is happening both on the mobile app and on my PC.

Admittedly, I am a lousy typist but it seems the cursor should stop at the initial start point of the text box and not be able to 'edit' someone else's text. A recipe for hard feelings.
I'm seeing the same issue. I'll look into it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same issue. I'll look into it.
I'm not sure if you saw the replies to that post. The quote tags are hidden. When you backspace too far, you delete part of that hidden closing tag. Clicking on the [ ] icon reveals the tags, so it behaves as it used to.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dascrow, is it possible to increase the contrast between new and old notifications in the Alerts list? On mobile, new ones are marked with a dot, but the desktop version just uses a (very) light tan or grey - the same color used to mark quotes, I have a hard time seeing which ones are highlighted. Of course, if we could get the dots working for desktop, that'd be more consistent.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a simple way to do ordered/unordered lists (bullets and numbered). Is that something we can get back?

Also, I'm occasionally getting a pop-up (actually, it shows up in another browser tab, opened behind the current tab) when I "like" something, asking me to confirm that action. It's something like 10-25% of the time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see a simple way to do ordered/unordered lists (bullets and numbered). Is that something we can get back?

Also, I'm occasionally getting a pop-up (actually, it shows up in another browser tab, opened behind the current tab) when I "like" something, asking me to confirm that action. It's something like 10-25% of the time.
I would hot informative if I could.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's weird - I don't know why the new forum software removed these options from the defaults? I have them back in now.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.02.12 PM.png

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@dascrow, is it possible to increase the contrast between new and old notifications in the Alerts list? On mobile, new ones are marked with a dot, but the desktop version just uses a (very) light tan or grey - the same color used to mark quotes, I have a hard time seeing which ones are highlighted. Of course, if we could get the dots working for desktop, that'd be more consistent.
Give it a try now. The unread notices should be much darker.

Last edited:

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you using to browse the site? (phone/tablet/desktop)

If you are viewing the site on a mobile device.. click the 3 dots and it will have the ordering option in a dropdown.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.57.17 PM.png

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you saw the replies to that post. The quote tags are hidden. When you backspace too far, you delete part of that hidden closing tag. Clicking on the [ ] icon reveals the tags, so it behaves as it used to.

I think this has been fixed. Let me know if you are still having issues.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My professional advice, as an IT person, is to not use Edge, download Chrome and use that or go for Firefox. If you want to avoid the whole tracking thing, go with "Duck Duck Go"
I’d swap Chrome for Slimjet. Less bloated, and all settings and extensions carry over.

Latest Discussions