Former astronaut: Man not alone in universe

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"NASA does not track UFOs. NASA is not involved in any sort of cover-up about alien life on this planet or anywhere else -- period," Michael Cabbage said Monday.

Hmm, well if you know what it is you're tracking then it's not a UFO is it :D?

Seriously, there is a lot of modern folklore-like tales about 'Aliens' and there are also a lot of recorded incidents where there was no conclusive evidence for a conventional explanation. What we do not yet have is conclusive evidence of the existence of life elsewhere or that they travel to here.

It's a fascinating area of research, I do agree and it is one that I delved in for a number of years in my youth. The big problem is the 'media effect' contaminates the discourse, creating false trails and pre-forming peoples perceptions so that they see and report things in line with the current 'mythology' of what UFO's (and aliens) look and behave like. Plus, to be brutally frank, many reports are suspect for obvious reasons but also because most people are just not good observers.

The really big problem that undermines the subject tho' is that for some it has become a matter of 'faith' rather than reason as to whether such things exist. That is never a good thing.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What fascinates me, is the thought of eternity anything. Point to the sky, and it goes on for ever, hard to fathom. If there is nobody up there, then there is a lot of space and area going to waste. If were just a speck, in the dust of life, that is ever harder to comprehend.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that we are the only "intelligent" life in the universe. I feel there are others out there, now whether or not they have the technology to come an visit us, who knows but with all the myth and theories around there has to be some truth to it. I hope I find out someday that it is true. I have so many questions and wouldn't mind a ride. :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps we're considered one of the dumb ones... lol.

Perhaps we are and that is why they have not let us know they are around...

This conversation is sounding very Star Trekish to me pretty soon I will be quoting the Prime Directive :D

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's all about math and distance. Given the enormous scope of the universe, mathematically speaking, there is life out there somewhere. Also, given the distances involved, that life will never likely come into contact with each other.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Given another thread up here at the same time...... suppose extra terrestrial life exists and is even wackier than we are..... what if they land here and demand we hand over all our 'crush' dvds?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What fascinates me, is the thought of eternity anything. Point to the sky, and it goes on for ever, hard to fathom. If there is nobody up there, then there is a lot of space and area going to waste. If were just a speck, in the dust of life, that is ever harder to comprehend.
You remind me of what my eldest brother had done one night with me... took me outside with a flashlight and taught me to look up as he shined the beam up into the clear night sky, telling me that the beam of light will travel forever even after *click* he shuts it off... that beam continues to travel until it hits a solid object or a star/sun. Helped me to appreciate the vastness of space. Perhaps that beam he shone so long ago is still traveling. I've since fired several laser pointers up into the night sky (and hoped whatever aliens are out there weren't thinking they were being fired upon... :lol:
But the concept of eternity and the number of stars and knowing that stars usually have planetary bodies around them and the very IDEA that we are the ONLY ones with intelligent life on it... no, I just cannot accept that... especially seeing pictures like the one below where you see hundreds of galaxies knowing that galaxies are comprised of millions/billions of stars.

I find it very hard to believe that we are the only "intelligent" life in the universe. I feel there are others out there, now whether or not they have the technology to come an visit us, who knows but with all the myth and theories around there has to be some truth to it. I hope I find out someday that it is true. I have so many questions and wouldn't mind a ride. :)
I wouldn't mind a ride either as long as they don't have anal probes or cookbooks. :lol:

It's all about math and distance. Given the enormous scope of the universe, mathematically speaking, there is life out there somewhere. Also, given the distances involved, that life will never likely come into contact with each other.
I dunno, it seems with all the reports of sightings and encounters that at least a few of them are true. Maybe we are a planet revolving around an "insignificant star" but the things on our planet (pyramids and other fantastic ancient ruins) must attest to previous visitations.

Given another thread up here at the same time...... suppose extra terrestrial life exists and is even wackier than we are..... what if they land here and demand we hand over all our 'crush' dvds?
:idunno: having not SEEN any of the crush videos they can have 'em... but please take our copies of Ishtar and other bad movies that we choose to forget... :lol:

(Edit: add on as I just found this article...)
Hmm... what was I just talking about with billions of stars and each having planetary systems around them ?? :uhyeah:

Scientists discover a nearly Earth-sized planet

By JENNIFER QUINN, Associated Press Writer Jennifer Quinn, Associated Press Writer – 30 mins ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_sc/eu_britain_new_planetHATFIELD, England – In the search for Earth-like planets, astronomers zeroed in Tuesday on two places that look awfully familiar to home. One is close to the right size. The other is in the right place. European researchers said they not only found the smallest exoplanet ever, called Gliese 581 e, but realized that a neighboring planet discovered earlier, Gliese 581 d, was in the prime habitable zone for potential life.
"The Holy Grail of current exoplanet research is the detection of a rocky, Earth-like planet in the 'habitable zone,'" said Michel Mayor, an astrophysicist at Geneva University in Switzerland.
An American expert called the discovery of the tiny planet "extraordinary."

Attachments

• $GALAXYS.jpg
    $GALAXYS.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find it alot less probable that we are the only forms of life in the entire universe. Space is infinite and there is no way there isn't some other form of life around. I can go by belief I don't know if I would really want proof though.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm ready! Bring on the aliens!

We are the aliens. I say bring on the nubiles. But if you're not a Stranglers fan, you didn't get that.

Or...

Mr. Spaceman - The Byrds

Woke up this morning with light in my eyes
And then realized it was still dark outside
It was a light coming down from the sky
I don't know who or why

Must be those strangers that come every night
Those saucer shaped lights put people uptight
Leave blue green footprints that glow in the dark
I hope they get home all right

Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along
I won't do anything wrong
Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Won't you please take me along for a ride

Woke up this morning, I was feeling quite wierd
Had flies in my beard, my toothpaste was smeared
Over my window, they'd written my name
Said, So long, we'll see you again

Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Hey, Mr. Spaceman

Hey, Mr. Spaceman
Hey, Mr. Spaceman

That is a lot of fun. It's a universal translator. We're not even supposed to have it, and I'll tell you why... Human thought is so primitive it's looked upon as an infectious disease in some of the better galaxies. That kind of makes you proud, doesn't it? huh?
- Kay, Men in Black

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that the sheer size of the universe and the enormous quantity of stars and planets out there all but statistically assure there is other life out there.

However...science fiction aside...the odds that we are more "advanced" life forms than whats out there are probably as good as us being the inferior life forms a la "Predator".."When the Earth stood still" and so on.

Latest Discussions