Forgotten war hero

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a serious Canadian nationalist, I read tonnes of Canadian history books and articles, and I try to keep up with other world history stuff. I have always considered myself knowledgeable about history in general, but in reading a book the other day i came upon something, much to my shame had forgotten, the story of Francis Pegahmagabow.

We in Canada tend to be very nonchalant when it comes to our war heros. As I'm getting older this is starting to bother me more and more. In the UK in the USA and in many other countries this man would be a national hero, here? Ask around and I doubt 1 in 500 could guess who he was. Yet it is because of people like him we have our freedoms.

Just providing a small rant and a bit of Canadian and first world war history to the community.

Corporal Francis Pegahmagabow, MM and two bars, (March 9, 1891 – August 5, 1952) was the aboriginal soldier most highly decorated for bravery in Canadian military history and the most effective sniper of World War I. Three times awarded the Military Medal and seriously wounded, he was an expert marksman and scout, credited with killing up to 378 Germans and capturing 300 more. Later in life, he served as chief and a councillor for his band, and as an activist and leader in several First Nations organizations. He corresponded with and met other noted aboriginal figures including Fred Loft, Jules Sioui, Andrew Paull and John Tootoosis.

More

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Pegahmagabow

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
well loving history myself.....

Thats great, our last canadian WWI vet died a just a little while ago, he was 109. when they are all gone it will be up to us to remember them (aka Nov 11) and what they fought for and why they fought.

Nice tribute, Ken. :)

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Huh, I always thought Tommy Prince was our highest decorated native soldier...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets remember them both.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions