footwork

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
@ llloooooolll,
I also don't agree with simply learning from a book by no means. As Flatlander stated, you WILL develop bad habits and it WILL become difficult to unlearn those bad habits if you are consistently practicing from the book. An instructor can only help in terms of not only assisting you in understanding the material you are reading, but to also give you depth behind those techniques which may or may not give you further understanding of the techs. I simply do not understand your logic in your decision.:idunno:

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
well i decided that i am going to enroll next week. it seems that is what i need to do.

thanks everyone for the input.

Tim McFatridge

White Belt
Reaction score
Good Luck with the classes I am sure you will benefit from them alot more than you did with the book. The other bad thing about trying to learn from a book is you are not able to feel your training partners energy or see the way you actually have to move with someone. Also just a note on the footwork... I do train the FMA footwork but when I am teaching it to my guys and teaching them how to use it I am quick to point out where it came from and that it is not Jun Fan footwork. Like Sifu Larry says "if everyone will give credit as to where the techniques come from then there would be less bad blood in the martial arts."

Great thread though guys.

Train Hard, Train Smart.

P.S. I can't remember now which two of you said you were in Texas (I think Jimi and tradrockrat) but where at in Texas are you guys located?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey llllooooollll, Did you get to the Hartsell seminar? I hope you did. If you get time, tell us all what you thought of it. PEACE JIMI

Latest Discussions