Footwear

beardsleybob

White Belt
Reaction score
Total novice here so bare with the newb questions please

what kind of shoe should I be wearing while training??

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ugg boots.

These will not only give you grip, they will keep your feet warm at the same time, therefore giving you added protection against any ankle injuries.

ugg.jpg

People will probably say things like "what the **** are you wearing" and "you are a dickhead" but just ignore that, those people are just jealous because they don't have a pair.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, for those not inclined to be the butt of a prank, it'll depend on the practice of your school. Many Muay Thai schools train barefoot; some will use boxing or wrestling shoes. At the start, your coaches may simply advise decent athletic shoes that don't have too much of a sole...

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haha ok ok you got me.

Look I've never been to a muay thai gym that trains with any footwear, that is, you should *always* train barefoot.

If they do insist you wear shoes though (and I cant imagine why they would), then get some cheap Dunlop Volleys or change gyms.

Last edited:

Iversion

White Belt
Reaction score
The Muay Thai school I train at recently moved to a new location and mats had not yet been installed. Since we normally have nasty weather in upstate New York everyone trained for a few weeks wearing shoes. The shoes I wore are called Vibram Five Fingers KSO. They are the best at simulating bare foot exercise and are amazing running shoes. You can buy them at numerous retailers online or from Vibram directly.
kso_taupe.png

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@ Akira: lmao, how did you get on in the Bangkok heat wearing those?

Seriously though, bare feet is the the norm if your gym has the mats down.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My gym had us training on a concrete floor and we were all barefoot (maybe some anklets on some people). They actually wouldn't allow shoes on the floor or mats at all.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
@ Akira: lmao, how did you get on in the Bangkok heat wearing those?

Fine as long as I trained naked.

Skpotamus those shoes are on another level. I've never seen anything like that before.

denmyos

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Muay Thai school I train at recently moved to a new location and mats had not yet been installed. Since we normally have nasty weather in upstate New York everyone trained for a few weeks wearing shoes. The shoes I wore are called Vibram Five Fingers KSO. They are the best at simulating bare foot exercise and are amazing running shoes. You can buy them at numerous retailers online or from Vibram directly.
kso_taupe.png
I have been thinking of buying those for some time now. I sometimes suffer from plantar fasciitis, and need extra support on the instep. i also overpronat so i need soppurt on the "heel" aswell.
im going to thailand in 6 months to train. And problaly will be bare footed all day, im a little worried that my plantar fasciitis really gonna kick in.

Latest Discussions