Food!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since some of you, Carol, Elder, Billy, Suke, got talking about food in the study, I thought I'd open a thread here.
The Peanut BUTTER M&M's are very good. But, Leonidas chocolates are absolutely heavenly.
Lately, rather than tuna sandwiches, I've been making shrimp salad sandwiches, mmmm, crustaceany goodness. When lobster are in season here my brother and a friend of his dive for them 3 or 4 times a week, I usually get a small cooler of tails once or twice a season. Lobster and eggs for breakfast is divine.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trader Joes has prepared Hollandaise sauce in little tupperwearish tubs for $3 that is pretty damn good over a bacon and grilled shrimp topped english muffin.
Btw, Suke, what the hell do you people call what we call english muffins?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a recipe I haven't tried, but it has to be good. I guess you pop some micro-wave popcorn, and pour a a bag of M&Ms, shake well, and serve. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Btw, Suke, what the hell do you people call what we call english muffins?

:grins: It'll come as no surprise that we call them Muffins :). I have no idea why it is that they came to be deemed English Muffins by those outside the UK - are there similar bready products that 'our' muffins needed to be distinguished from?

Edit after a ponder - could the English prefix be so that they are not confused with the North American cake that is called a Muffin?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:grins: It'll come as no surprise that we call them Muffins :). I have no idea why it is that they came to be deemed English Muffins by those outside the UK - are there similar bready products that 'our' muffins needed to be distinguished from?
heh :grins:
Edit after a ponder - could the English prefix be so that they are not confused with the North American cake that is called a Muffin?
Wouldn't it be hard to confuse this:
EnglishMuffins.jpg

With this:
muffin.jpg
?
I mean, which one are you going to make eggs Benedict with?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nods: True enough - I was thinking more on menu boards and such like where it might not be clear which is a bready thingy and which is a cakey thingy :)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would think descriptive names would be more important in a country that eats something called Spotted Dick... Anything that sounds remotely like a social disease should not be a food...

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Can't argue with that - even here it is a constant source of double entendres :D

However, there was no possible chance of misunderstanding what a muffin was for a thousand years as they were 'invented' in the 10th century over here - it was only in the 1980's when the American confection came along to these shores that I suppose someone thought there was a need to differentiate.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
:lol: Can't argue with that - even here it is a constant source of double entendres :D

However, there was no possible chance of misunderstanding what a muffin was for a thousand years as they were 'invented' in the 10th century over here - it was only in the 1980's when the American confection came along to these shores that I suppose someone thought there was a need to differentiate.

The "American confection" is not a "cake," it's a type of quick bread, just as the "English" muffin is. THe "English" was originally leavened and cooked on a griddle. The American version is yeast-free, following the American penchant for doing things quickly, and dates back to the 19th century-1800s, not 1980's...:lfao:

My blueberry corn muffins are to die for, and pretty healthy-though I just don't bake that often, anymore......love some "English" muffins, too-and Eggs Benedict.....only with crabmeat or salmon, and fresh hollandaise, always, not that crap that comes out of a jar (if you get your eggs benedict at any but the finest restaurants, you're getting that crap that comes out of a jar......even in the "finest restaurants," sometimes.....:lfao: )

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see that English is a language that divides us to this day, gentlemen.

All I meant was it was about the 1980's that the cakes :)p) that are called muffins over your side of the Atlantic arrived in numbers on this side of that body of water. I first encountered them myself in Canada in 2001, or at least, by the sounds of it, one version of them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since some of you, Carol, Elder, Billy, Suke, got talking about food in the study, I thought I'd open a thread here.
The Peanut BUTTER M&M's are very good. But, Leonidas chocolates are absolutely heavenly.

I have never tried them. Somehow I think I would have a difficult time resisting the urge to shout "THIS!! IS!! CHOCOLATE!!" if I ever have a chance to try them. :D

Lately, rather than tuna sandwiches, I've been making shrimp salad sandwiches, mmmm, crustaceany goodness. When lobster are in season here my brother and a friend of his dive for them 3 or 4 times a week, I usually get a small cooler of tails once or twice a season. Lobster and eggs for breakfast is divine.

Oh is it ever!! Boy does that bring back memories. There was an old inn in Kennebunkport, Maine. After you drive through the town of Kennebunkport, you can get on a road called Ocean Drive, which takes you right along this absolutely magnificent rocky coastline. There are a number of grand houses on Ocean Drive, and one bit of land abutting in to the ocean called Walker's Point. This was the summer home of George H.W. Bush, and it was a popular tourist spot. Further up Ocean Drive, was a historic in called the Shawmut Inn. I stayed there a few times sightseeng (sadly its gone now). After my very first night at the inn, I went down to breakfast and my server recommended a "Shawmut Omlette". It was a lobster omlette. That was INCREDIBLE.

There seems to be a level of secret service protection that decreases after a president has been out of office for 5 years or so. Once that happens we saw a few extra homes for sale on Ocean Drive, and it was possible to park on Ocean Drive a little bit closer to the main gate of Walker's Point. A few other tourists and I were lingering there, taking in the view and the salt air....when I saw a cruiser boat motor in towards Walker Point, surrounded by three smaller speedboats. The cruiser boat saw the people standing out by the road and cruised partway up the cove to wave at us with the speedboats following suit -- it was President Bush and (presumably) his secret service. He then arced back around to dock on the ocean side of the point. That was a very memorable trip! :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

LEONIDAS CHOCOLATES?!!!!

Where did you get those?!!! :eye-popping: :fanboy: