FMAT: Private Instruction?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Private Instruction?
By akatrk - Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:15:07 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I am considering an instructor who solely teaches through private instruction. Although his classes are very reasonable ($25.00/hr) I would have to travel by train and possibly taxi which right now, I believe would take me an hour and a half to reach him.

My concerns are not so much the price of the lessons, but regarding how frequent a person should attend. This instructor recommends that a person should come at least once a week. He also states that some of his students do attend twice a week while some only attend once a month.

My question is can a person training one time out of the week progress the same as a person who attends group sessions, say three times a week?

He seems very knowledgeable regarding FMA but can a person truly coming away with some level of proficient progression with just a one day a week training session.

What say your opinion?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Armas

White Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the person learning. Maybe if you can video what he is teaching you it may help you when you train alone. This is if your instructor lets you video tape the sessions. I think this will be up to your arrangements with him. Hope this helps.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Kuntaw we have a saying- if you cannot teach it to someone else- you do not know the skill, and by teaching it, you become better at what you are teaching- because you have to dissect the skill over and over. So all students are encouraged to pass the art to each other. So, by taking a training partner on the side- you will retain what was taught to you by passing it on.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can second Kuntawguro on that. Since I've started teaching a little in our iaido school, I feel that I've understood a lot more about what underpins the art.

Of course, I now also have a greater depth of understanding of how far I yet have to go ... but that's good too :D.

Latest Discussions