FMAT: Native New Zealand Stick Art?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Native New Zealand Stick Art?
By arnisador - Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:55:33 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I just saw a brief part of a film called "Once Were Warriors" in which a native New Zealand weapon whose name sounded like "daya(k)" was used. It was about the length of a tapado or yonshakubo, but shaped somewhat like a relatively thin oar. The character spoke of it with great reverence, as a traditional weapon.

Does anyone know what this weapon is?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Devon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The weapon featured in the Once Were Warriors clip is called a taiaha, pronounced TIE-ah-hah. It is a traditional Maori weapon, used extensively throughout New Zealand during the Classical (pre-European contact) period of Maori culture, and the martial art of using it, known as mau rakau, is still widely practiced today.

The taiaha itself and also the various iwi (tribal) styles of using it are considered as tapu taonga (sacred treasures) and many traditionalists refuse to teach the art to "outsiders". However, there are also more progressive instructors who want to open the art to all who want to learn it.

I've had some taiaha training with various instructors over the years and would have to say that it's one of the best medium-length stick fighting styles I've ever seen.

Devon