FMAT: Help with some Generic Terms

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Help with some Generic Terms
By geezer - 04-11-2010 01:16 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Different systems seem to use a lot of different terms to describe the same or similar techniques. When talking to guys from other groups this can get confusing. In what I do we have about four or five basic ways to swing a stick. Oh, there are a dozen numbered angles and a zillion techniques.... but these are the basic types of hits that come to mind:

A punch: shoots out pretty straight and hard (actually in a long ellipse), then pulls right back like a boxer's jab... with body weight behind it.

A snap: a quick whipping rap, witik, abanico, etc. that has more speed than power.

A short swing: a short, focused slash or curving strike that swings out and back to chamber without a long follow through.

A thrust: Like the "punch" above (can be a jab, hook, or uppercut) but stabbing with the end of the stick.

A long swing: a long heavy swing that follows through, going past it's target and looping back in a continuous circular or figure-eight motion. Basically a very committed strike used with heavy weapons like bats, axe-handles, lengths of pipe, etc. that have a lot of inertia and can't be zoned-in tightly. I think the Dog Bros. call this a "cave-man" swing.

Anyway, if you guys use strikes similar to any of these, what do you call them? Do you have a good generic, or cross-style terminology? Maybe some common Filipino terms too? (My instructors have been Filipino American, and from other non-Filipino ethnic groups and tend to favor English terminology.)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions