Flash from the past: John Kerry swiftee loses silver star...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The man who introduced presidential candidate John Kerry and who lead attacks against the swift boat guys has just lost his silver star...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/07/kerry_spokesman_stripped_of_silver_star.html

From the article:

Now the Navy Times reports that Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has revoked Sanders' Silver Star. The highly unusual decision appears unrelated to Sanders' felony conviction. A Navy spokesman cited "subsequently determined facts and evidence surrounding both the incident for which the award was made and the processing of the award itself." John Kerry has to be hoping this doesn't become a trend.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm assuming because it has actually happened that this is legal, BillC?

Also, I know that it is officially claimed that the criminal charges are nothing to do with it but its awfully coincidental. What do you think, given a lack of additional evidence presented for consideration?

I can well see any service not being happy about a decorated officer and official of the Navy itself being so convicted but does that give them the right to nullify awards for bravery under the American system of military or civil justice?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The man who introduced presidential candidate John Kerry and who lead attacks against the swift boat guys has just lost his silver star...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/07/kerry_spokesman_stripped_of_silver_star.html

From the article:

Now the Navy Times reports that Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has revoked Sanders' Silver Star. The highly unusual decision appears unrelated to Sanders' felony conviction. A Navy spokesman cited "subsequently determined facts and evidence surrounding both the incident for which the award was made and the processing of the award itself." John Kerry has to be hoping this doesn't become a trend.
The guy deserved it. Lying is un-becoming.:)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm assuming because it has actually happened that this is legal, BillC?

Also, I know that it is officially claimed that the criminal charges are nothing to do with it but its awfully coincidental. What do you think, given a lack of additional evidence presented for consideration?

I can well see any service not being happy about a decorated officer and official of the Navy itself being so convicted but does that give them the right to nullify awards for bravery under the American system of military or civil justice?
The fine print he signed says he is in for life, and the military can do what ever they want.
Sean

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, as straight-forward as that then? What the Admiralty Giveth the Admiralty can taketh Away sort of deal?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I read, it sounded like the Navy was saying that the incident he was awarded the medal for, and possibly the process he went through to get it were what was called into question here. In other words they`re saying he didn`t deserve to recieve the award in the first place. Am I reading that wrong?

According to my Dad (US Army Feb.1941-August 1945) it wouldn`t be the first time that a couple officers got together and put each other in for decorations they didn`t deserve.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is why my quote from the post only concerned the medal. I wish they would flesh out the reason a little more, trying to track down more info. is going to be a pain.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An update on the article about John Kerry's supporter who had his silver star pulled:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011...oat_hatchet_man_fake_his_own_silver_star.html

Privately, Hoffmann had entertained doubts about the award for several years, since he first noticed a Silver Star on Sanders' jacket at Admiral Elmo Zumwalt's funeral in 2000. Hoffmann had no idea where the award had come from. He was certain that he would have known about any engagement that qualified for such a high-level decoration.

During the investigation that followed, the Navy was unable to substantiate the mission that Sanders' citation described -- there was no after-action report, no medical report, no official record of any kind. Hoffmann also discovered that the Swift boat Sanders claimed to have used was not available on the date of the purported engagement, having been temporarily assigned to a nearby Inshore Undersea Warfare Group (IUWG).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that's substantiated then it is despicable of the man to falsely claim an award that goes only to the brave (and lucky). Isn't there a law on the American books for such a thing - I think it's called the Appropriation of Valour or something similar?

EDIT: "Theft of Valour" is the term I was trying to remember.

Latest Discussions