Fixed Knife, Folding Knife, Whatever if You Had One Choice on a Knife (not a sword)....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fixed Knife, Folding Knife, Whatever if You Had One Choice on a Knife (not a lomg sword) in the moment what would it be!

I look forward to everyone's varied answers!!!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've already got mine. USMC ka-bar. It's the second one I've had. My first one was the black full size and saw me through my time in the Corps. Lost that knife to the spite of an angry ex-wife. One of my classmates/students just gifted me with a new one last night after class. This ones the brown handle and brown leather sheath. I beat the crap out of my first one and did things you really shouldn't do to a knife for many years and it never failed me. Plus, it fits my large hands just fine for fighting.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I could only have one, it'd probably be my Cold Steel Recon Tanto.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the K-Bar it truly is a great knife. (have about eight or nine myself)
icon6.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I Have a dagger (* I know it is not a knife :( *) that I absolutely love. It is 15 and 3/4 inches long. 5 inches of handle just short of two inches wide in the grip (* It fits my hand in other words *) and a 5 inch cross hilt. It is from Jaeger Knives. Hand Made. This is what I like and also what I rpactice with by myself as I really enjoy it.

Most folders do not fit my hand well and slide around in it so I go for the larger ones when I do carry a folder. I also like my large Balisong, but most police tell me the 4+ inch blade is not legal. :( So, that is nto a practical carry.

I prefer my fixed blade though, even if some do not call it a knife. ;)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I Have a dagger (* I know it is not a knife :( *) that I absolutely love. It is 15 and 3/4 inches long. 5 inches of handle just short of two inches wide in the grip (* It fits my hand in other words *) and a 5 inch cross hilt. It is from Jaeger Knives. Hand Made. This is what I like and also what I rpactice with by myself as I really enjoy it.

Most folders do not fit my hand well and slide around in it so I go for the larger ones when I do carry a folder. I also like my large Balisong, but most police tell me the 4+ inch blade is not legal. :( So, that is nto a practical carry.

I prefer my fixed blade though, even if some do not call it a knife. ;)

Hey Rich it is just a Long Knife. Still not a sword (ie. Katana, Kampilan, etc.) so it definately fits in with what we are talking about. Your long knife would be a real intimidator and equalizer to anyone breaking into your home at night.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bagwell Bowie or a custom Hartsook fixed fighter. If it is the field, definatily a Hartsook. Both are fixed. I only carry folders for the convenience of them in the civilian world.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Under what conditions? For what uses?

If the answer is "civilization has fallen and you are fighting zombies in the burnt out wreckage of Manhattan" it's a much different answer than for day-to-day carry in my regular life, for use camping and hunting, if I think I'm about to be attacked, for cooking or in some other specialized field. I can't think of one knife that would do even a half-assed job at all of these.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If the answer is "civilization has fallen and you are fighting zombies in the burnt out wreckage of Manhattan" it's a much different answer than for day-to-day carry in my regular life, for use camping and hunting, if I think I'm about to be attacked, for cooking or in some other specialized field. I can't think of one knife that would do even a half-assed job at all of these.

Basically Tellner if you had a choice in the moment what knife would you choose to have in your hand. (presuming that you could not have a better weapon)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've already got mine. USMC ka-bar. It's the second one I've had. My first one was the black full size and saw me through my time in the Corps. Lost that knife to the spite of an angry ex-wife. One of my classmates/students just gifted me with a new one last night after class. This ones the brown handle and brown leather sheath. I beat the crap out of my first one and did things you really shouldn't do to a knife for many years and it never failed me. Plus, it fits my large hands just fine for fighting.

My dad gave me a black K before I went in the Army; I still have one that plus his from his USMC days in World War II. My ex had her own blades, and left me mine when she left.

(Now, for tellner's zombies, I'd want my wak - also a WWII vet bringback. World War z says you've got to go for the head):samurai:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I had a chance to choose -- I'd take a kukri (or do you consider that a sword?), the K-bar that I've got 8 feet away from me as I sit here, or the Spyderco folder that I've got with me almost anytime I leave the house.

Each knife combines toughness, effectiveness, and utility. And, equally important, I'm comfortable with each knife. Techniques for each flow from my empty hand practice (I'm too lazy to try to learn different principles for weapons and empty hand... and too certain that if I try to do so, I'm too likely to go blank when I need it.)

And that segues into the real choice... Whatever knife I can lay my hands on when I need it. Because I trust my hands, and I can use almost any knife as an extension of them.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As "best short bladed weapon I could hold in one hand that isn't a sword" it still depends, but...

If it's the fight I want I'm behind him, and he doesn't realize it yet :) One of Mr. Dennehey's (sp?) slip tips - a short, triangular bladed stabbing knife about six inches long - will be absolutely perfect for opening up the kidneys or pithing him like a tenth grade biology class frog. If he's starting the stuff, then any knife I can keep concealed long enough to get in a good stab or cut before he knows I've got it.

Otherwise there's a large range of things any one of which would be acceptable - several different designs of bowie, the Kabar, my Randall Model 1, or more exotic ones like the haladie, khanjar, katar, or pesh kabz (pictures of the ones in blue text follow). They're all very well designed for the job of messing people up. I can use any of them. They're not long enough to be swords.

The kukri is great, but I'd prefer one of the older ones like the two at the bottom. The older models were better made, had better balance and feel and at least the two that I got from Atlanta Cutlery some time back were about 18 inches long.

Attachments

• $rand1-8.JPG
    $rand1-8.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 268
  • $haladie1.JPG
    $haladie1.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 268
  • $kanjar.JPG
    $kanjar.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 276
  • $katar.jpg
    $katar.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 282
  • $peshkabz.jpg
    $peshkabz.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 268
  • $0401124_d_000.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 285
  • $0401126_d_000.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 273

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first instinctual answer was my Cold Steel Recon Tanto. I suppose that would probably be my first choice, mostly because I'm not that attached to it & am more willing to abuse it because it is so easily replaced, unlike the rest of my stuff.

Although, I may be partial to that my Survival Golok, or that Damascus Bolo from Valiant that's next on my wish list!

Bolo1Dam.JPG

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pictures!
icon14.gif
Jks9199 a Kukri is a knife in my opinion and not a sword. When I think of a sword it denotes quite a bit of length like a Kampilan, Katana, Tachi, Various European Long Swords, Broadswords, etc. Long Knives like a shoto, bolo, kukri or even possibly a ginunting I consider them to be knives as they simply do not have the same length as a Kampilan, Katana, Tachi, Broad Sword, etc. Now these are just my personal preferences and others do like to call a bolo, ginunting a sword but I do not. So your Kukri would be fine and a great knife it is!
icon6.gif

Tellner love the inclusion of the Indian Katar. Truthfully that is one bloody wicked knife and I picked one up in India on my last visit and had the opportunity to train some with it in Kalarippayattu.
icon6.gif

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Argonaut made by Shane Sibert. Did everything I needed it to while in Afghanistan.

Latest Discussions