First the smokes now the pop...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The health police are at it again. Some people complain that conservatives want to tell you what you can do in your own bedroom, well, the other side wants to tell you what you can do everywhere else. Of course they too will get to the bedroom, it will just take them longer...

http://www.mrc.org/bozellcolumns/columns/2011/20111208102128.aspx

Former entertainment executive Laurie David went to The Huffington Post to propose a "Thanksgiving Conversation Starter: Is It Time to Ban Soda Ads on Prime Time Television?"

At the same time that the broadcast networks are allowing – even advocating -- the removal of all limitations on nudity or profanity on TV, at any hour of the day, Ms. David is most upset about those old polar-bear ads for Coca-Cola: “Knowing what I know now about the effects of sugary drinks on children the image of kids chugging down a Coke [or in this case polar bear cubs] evokes the same feelings I'd get if they were taking a deep drag on cigarettes.”

David, the ex-wife of sleazy HBO comedy star Larry David, was dead serious about forcing a soda-ad ban on TV. “Corporations are no longer allowed to advertise cigarettes on TV due to the potential impact it could have on our kids.” She insisted that TV banned hard-liquor ads voluntarily. “Can you imagine! It is now time to institute a similar TV advertising ban on soda. We are in the midst of a health epidemic. Someone has to start caring.”

Beware of those who care, they never stop caring and they never leave you alone.

Perhaps she should do more to stop attacks on children in hollywood instead of worrying about sugary drinks. that might be the more noble effort.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't support such a ban -- but I find it to be very odd that this is brought up for conversation at a time when hard liquor is now being advertised on mainstream television shows.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baking soda (Na HCO3) or cleaning soda (Na[SUB]2[/SUB]CO3[SUB]) [/SUB]?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think we should ban advertising altogether... but I'm all for loosening up on nudity.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C. S. Lewis

Pax,

Chris