Lost for Words

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16201961

This story is one that caused me to have to clamp my jaw shut and resolutely say nothing so as to not give offense to the Bangladeshi chap who sits across the desk from me.

How can we continue to treat and trade with India, no matter how lucrative the market is, until they begin to get a handle on the rampant misogyny that infects at least the southern half of that region? Such stories as this make the news when the tide of rape, beatings and other abuse goes unreported but the 'silence' does not mean that these things are not known about - it makes me quite angry that nothing is done.

I know that cultural change is hard, lord knows we still have not conquered sexism over here in Britain despite forty years of progress on it. But there is a world of difference between being protective of the women in your life and treating them as property.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16201961

This story is one that caused me to have to clamp my jaw shut and resolutely say nothing so as to not give offense to the Bangladeshi chap who sits across the desk from me.

How can we continue to treat and trade with India, no matter how lucrative the market is, until they begin to get a handle on the rampant misogyny that infects at least the southern half of that region? Such stories as this make the news when the tide of rape, beatings and other abuse goes unreported but the 'silence' does not mean that these things are not known about - it makes me quite angry that nothing is done.

I know that cultural change is hard, lord knows we still have not conquered sexism over here in Britain despite forty years of progress on it. But there is a world of difference between being protective of the women in your life and treating them as property.

Bangladesh isn't part of India though. Not trading with India would make no difference as Bangladesh is a sovereign state, if India tried to do anything there it would be classed probably as hostile.
I sponsor a little girl in Bangladesh so that she can go to school and the agency I do it with is campaigning for girls and women to be treated better as well as go to school and not be forced into early marriage.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking in terms off the fact that India is the powerful nieghbour that might be able to apply pressure for change - it did take part in the '71 war after all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking in terms off the fact that India is the powerful nieghbour that might be able to apply pressure for change - it did take part in the '71 war after all.

Bangladesh is mostly Muslim though, for a mostly Hindu state to interfere would cause a huge conglagration in Asia, Pakistan would get involved etc. India has enough problems without wars on it's borders. In Pakistan and Bangladesh as well as Afghanistan horrendous things are happening to women, if the Allies can't stop them happening if Afghan I doubt another country can stop it happening in Bangladesh which is having serious problems all round.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12650940

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"...the only known cure for poverty, the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."

RIP, Hitch

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"...the only known cure for poverty, the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."

RIP, Hitch

Absolutely, education, education, education. The only way out of poverty and all it's accompanying horrors.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read this story immediately after reading one about a man in New York city spraying a woman with accelerant and setting her on fire because she owed him $2,000. Half a world away and our culture isn`t treating women any better. Makes me sick. And even though I`m going through a divorce, it makes me worry about the kind of world my wife and step-daughters has to put up with.

Latest Discussions