First Day of BJJ

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had my first BJJ class a few days ago and everything went great for the entire class until the last drill. We started out with my partner already in the back mount on me with scissor hold and we did this alot in drills but this time he used a little more strength then he had been doing all day.

For some reason I suddenly became extremely clausterphobic and completely panicked. I forgot all the previous drills and started trying to brute force my way out with strength like my life depended upon it even forgetting I could just tap. It not only didn't work but I guess I hurt my partners finger cause he got mad and yelled at me.

Needless to say I felt horrible once I calmed down from my panicked state but couldn't even apologize cause he had already left since it was the last drill. I didn't even know I was clausterphobic until I was trapped with no way to move and no idea how to get out of it. I spent alot of money to take the classes and I feel like it's a waste to never go back but I'm too ashamed of myself to even show my face there again.

Has anyone else ever suddenly gotten clausterphobic and freaked out or had a white belt freak out on them during a hold?
I'm not you or anyone else, but the way I would personally handle it would be to try and catch him in class again and try to have a quick 1-on-1 with him. Let him know what you just told us. Obviously it's clear you're new and you never realized you were claustrophobic until that moment. In martial arts, you're on a journey to learn more about yourself and you already hit that on day 1 (at least with BJJ, not sure about any other experience you may/may not have). Sometimes having a heart to heart and being honest is the best approach, especially when it comes to martial arts. In my experience, most people you train with will be capable of understanding your struggle. Who knows, afterwards you both might become good friends/training partners.

Last edited:

Khadijah Sams

White Belt
Reaction score
I had my first BJJ class a few days ago and everything went great for the entire class until the last drill. We started out with my partner already in the back mount on me with scissor hold and we did this alot in drills but this time he used a little more strength then he had been doing all day.

For some reason I suddenly became extremely clausterphobic and completely panicked. I forgot all the previous drills and started trying to brute force my way out with strength like my life depended upon it even forgetting I could just tap. It not only didn't work but I guess I hurt my partners finger cause he got mad and yelled at me.

Needless to say I felt horrible once I calmed down from my panicked state but couldn't even apologize cause he had already left since it was the last drill. I didn't even know I was clausterphobic until I was trapped with no way to move and no idea how to get out of it. I spent alot of money to take the classes and I feel like it's a waste to never go back but I'm too ashamed of myself to even show my face there again.

Has anyone else ever suddenly gotten clausterphobic and freaked out or had a white belt freak out on them during a hold?
I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your claustrophobia doesn't bother you too much in the future. I hope whatever you choose to do you live a happy life. God bless.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score

Took my third class of BJJ training on Saturday, I have a very mild form of cerebral palsy, half deaf, bad what ever it is that keeps your balance, very bad inner ear problems,TN(suicide disease) anyway anything and everything thing can happen during a bout, first class I take kenpo right after that is BJJ, if your partner got mad that is on him and he does not have the temperament to take the martial arts, my last three instructor’s would bar anyone from the dojo that got mad!!! In fighting it is very good to clear your mind of any emotion! But in the dojo you must keep control of your moves and do anything you must do to keep from injuring your classmates while at the same time going as hard as possible to keep from hurting others that is where control comes in and that will take awhile to achieve! But never let your disabilities get in the way of training never!! Of course there are more people here with a lot more experience then me who has a different take and that is fine!!! Take what applies to you and use it!! Happy training and stay the course!!! And enjoy the journey!!!!

Latest Discussions