first class ever

ManOfVirtues

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont remember much from my first class. I had just turned 8 back in 1991. All I do remember is my sensi was this bus driver for my school. Come to find out he was 2nd generation to the creator of Isshinryu Karate. One of the first americans trained in Okinawa.

Now that I look at it, wow I was in over my head.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ManOfVirtues said:
I had just turned 8 back in 1991

Man am I old..I turned 37 in 1991...ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember my first class. It was almost my last.

My then fiance (now husband) and I joined with another couple. The female of that couple giggled through out the entire lesson, especially when the sensei's were at their most serious (during bow-in and bow-out). We kept getting dirty looks and got ignored by the higher ranking belts, I guess they were afraid that they might be collateral damage when the explosion came!:)

Fortunately, the sensei in charge had a sense of humour and understood that some people cope with nervousness with inappropriate laughter. Eventually she was talked to about her lack of seriousness and she decided to leave,but the rest of us stayed on. The man from that couple eventually got his black belt in the system where as my hubby and I stopped after a couple of years. Funny
I remember my first class. It was almost my last.

My then fiance (now husband) and I joined with another couple. The female of that couple giggled through out the entire lesson, especially when the sensei's were at their most serious (during bow-in and bow-out). We kept getting dirty looks and got ignored by the higher ranking belts, I guess they were afraid that they might be collateral damage when the explosion came!:)

Fortunately, the sensei in charge had a sense of humour and understood that some people cope with nervousness with inappropriate laughter. Eventually she was talked to about her lack of seriousness and she decided to leave,but the rest of us stayed on. The man from that couple eventually got his black belt in the system where as my hubby and I stopped after a couple of years. Funny thing is, now we are back at it and he is our sensei!
My wife and I are both Shifu/Wing Chun instructors, and the nice thing about being my wife's instructor is that I can hit her all I want and not get in trouble lol.
thing is, now we are back at it and he is our sensei!

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, when you hit 57, you miss looking at things like that lol.

Latest Discussions