Firefox bookmarks

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am using a win xp computer with multiple users defined to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can use the firefox bookmarks from one user when logged on as another user? I figured I'd just copy the bookmark file from one user to another but I can only find one file. I think maybe all of the bookmarks are stored in one file but I cannot figure out a way to access the other user's stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If all you want to do is copy the bookmarks, its a file called bookmarks.html
I believe the path is c:/documents and settings/username/Application Data/mozilla/firefox/profilecode/bookmarks.html

But I could be wrong, I don't have a windows setup to look at right now. But it is a "mozilla" folder you are looking for.

If you want to share the profile you can do that as well. I did this at work of the network drive so that I could get at my e-mail from Windows / Linux or my laptop.

In the firefox folder there is a file called "profiles.ini" open it up, it will look something like this:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=d5w2v6c2.default

Change it to this:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=c:\firefox

and copy everything from the "d5w2v6c2.default" folder to c:\firefox

Make sure you change the profile.ini file in all the accounts you want to share a profile with. This covers bookmarks, history, etc, so it might not be what you are looking for.

Try this:

Click on "Bookmarks / organize bookmarks" - this will open the bookmarks organization file. From there, click on "File / export" and you can export your bookmarks, save them where you like (you may have to save it to an external memory device, or attach it to an email), and import them into whatever you like (same steps, except click on "import" instead of "export", navigate to wherever you saved the file, and open it).

OR

I use an extension I got from Mozilla called Google Browser Sync, which automatically synchonizes my settings (including the last window that were open when I shut the browser down and all bookmarks) on any computer I use on which I have that extension installed. I use this one because it runs off my Gmail account - but there are others available as well, at the mozilla.com site.

Thanks all. I will try them when I get home. I really like the sound of that Google Browser sync extension and that profiles strategy since my ultimate goal would be to keep all bookmarks available to all users forever.

Back