Find a video I really like on knife practice

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As for knife, I literally based on kick boxing. I hold the knife in my right hand in orthodox stance so it's tuck in close to my face with left hand up front. They can grab my left hand!!! I thrust like I do punching, I do slashing and I practice pulling back as fast as I attack to minimize the chance of being grab.
You can legally carry a push dagger in California, as long as it's not concealed. A 3" push dagger will give you a faster, more reliable draw, no moving parts to concern yourself with, a rock solid grip and no change to your punching style. It is essentially boxing with a knife. Why would you not take advantage of that? A push dagger is a restricted weapon in Canada, I can't have one.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can legally carry a push dagger in California, as long as it's not concealed. A 3" push dagger will give you a faster, more reliable draw, no moving parts to concern yourself with, a rock solid grip and no change to your punching style. It is essentially boxing with a knife. Why would you not take advantage of that? A push dagger is a restricted weapon in Canada, I can't have one.
But it's so big and long and it doesn't look good. It all matters. I practice draw and all that.

The point is with careful observation and analysis, I can get a folding one that is just as sturdy, concealable, not expensive.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But it's so big and long and it doesn't look good. It all matters. I practice draw and all that.

The point is with careful observation and analysis, I can get a folding one that is just as sturdy, concealable, not expensive.
A punch dagger with a 2"-3" blade is too long? No folding knife can be as sturdy as a fixed blade. You're concern is that a push dagger isn't good looking? Do you carry your pepper spray rolling around in your pocket or in a holster on your belt? Does that look good? You can legally carry a superior weapon and you discount it because it doesn't look good? Are you interested in self defense or making a fashion statement?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So, which one of these is too expensive for you? Heck, you can buy 3 of them for your $70 budget, and they are from Cold Steel. Imagine what kind of prices you could get a gas station push dagger for? https://www.knifecenter.com/series/cold-steel-knives/cold-steel-push-daggers

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A punch dagger with a 2"-3" blade is too long? No folding knife can be as sturdy as a fixed blade. You're concern is that a push dagger isn't good looking? Do you carry your pepper spray rolling around in your pocket or in a holster on your belt? Does that look good? You can legally carry a superior weapon and you discount it because it doesn't look good? Are you interested in self defense or making a fashion statement?
Ha ha, I do carry a pepper spray in my left pocket!!! Knife in right pocket and carrying a cane everywhere. Pepper spray is my first line defense, then cane, then knife is the last resort.

I am specifically talking about knife, I have plenty of guns I can carry in my pocket also. I am just concentrate on knife here.
So, which one of these is too expensive for you? Heck, you can buy 3 of them for your $70 budget, and they are from Cold Steel. Imagine what kind of prices you could get a gas station push dagger for? https://www.knifecenter.com/series/cold-steel-knives/cold-steel-push-daggers
the one I don't think it's worth the money!!! Like I said, expensive ones are like designed by famous people, very good steel that are good in edge retention, BUT not tough as it become too brittle. For my need, D2 is about the highest I want to go.

This is a discussion at this point, I got the ones I want already, it's more physics and engineering discussion now.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Notice how almost all the Cold Steel push daggers have blades under 4"? That's because a longer blade doesn't work as well in a push dagger configuration. Too easy to deflect off a bone, as an example. An oversized push dagger screams "wall hanger" with no practical purpose.

Attachments

• Push dagger.jpg
    Push dagger.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 47

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a discussion at this point, I got the ones I want already, it's more physics and engineering discussion now.
Please explain, in as detailed description as you can, how a folding knife is superior to a push dagger in design (that would be engineering) and application (that would be physics) Assume, as you already do, that I have no idea what I'm talking about, so explain it like you're talking to a 5 year old.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please explain, in as detailed description as you can, how a folding knife is superior to a push dagger in design (that would be engineering) and application (that would be physics) Assume, as you already do, that I have no idea what I'm talking about, so explain it like you're talking to a 5 year old.
I did not say folding knife is better than push dagger I just read your link of Cold Steel and I assume it's just another knife and did not even go in. I assumed I looked in detail with all the folding knives of Cold Steel before already, so there is no need for me to look. I don't even know push dagger until you show the picture. I never said folding knife is better than fixed blade knife. Fixed blade of cause is much superior than folding knives for fighting. Don't know push dagger.

I can only compare between folding knives vs fixed blade. MAINLY, fixed blade is ILLEGAL to conceal carry in Kalifornia. For open carry, it's too noticeable, I do NOT want to do that. Also, fix blade is big. For like a 3.5" the total length is over 8", that a really big knife to carry on the belt!!!! I might invite trouble or being refused service in places. So it is OUT OF THE QUESTION no matter how much better fixed blade is. So the only option left is folding knife!!!

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, your backup plan is to have a sub 4" blade, but you think you will be able to maintain the same distance/ range as with your cane, so close contact work is irrelevant? You can do a lot of damage with a small blade, but it is not a sword. As a grappler, I'd love someone to hold a small knife at arms length, much easier to deal with than in close bladework. You train by yourself? Do you have a BOB? Do you have a room with access to the walls? Get close into a corner, the walls will restrict your movements. Visualize the inside corner of the walls as the centerline of the body. You're satisfied training cane without active resistance or feedback, do the same with the knife. As you don't have a partner, tuck yourself into the corner, try to deploy and open your knife in a constricted area. If it's your backup tool, don't expect the luxury of having free time to open at your leisure. It's not perfect Training, but it's better than nothing.
I forgot to talk about slashing part. I do NOT swing the arm like in a lot of the videos, that requires a lot of space. It won't work in crowded situation. I practice using what I learn from stick fight by Blindside(Lamont Glass) here. Here is the video he did for me. It's call CASTING. which he "cast" the stick forward while swinging. This result in a much tighter swing radius, like combining forward motion and swing together.

Even for cane, I practice in narrow hallway and still can hit quite hard without the wild swing. I use the same technique with knife, I can literally slash in space as narrow as about 6" extra on each side of my body. I use the same idea of using body and shoulder rotation to add to the rotating force so I don't have to let my arm out to get a big circle.

I don't know, I am only 2 weeks into this. I just try to make use of what I learn from stick fight and kick boxing to mix into knife fighting.

I am too old to go to school, even if I really go to school, it would be stick fight fight before this. I just do the best I can and try in incorporate stuffs from kick boxing and stick fight into it.

Last edited:

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is per the blade forum regarding California law:

"Not only are push daggers illegal here, they are a misdemeanor/alternate felony if carried concealed. This means that if they want, the DA can charge you with a felony or a misdemeanor for carrying these knives concealed. Supposedly this is to give DA's another way to add charges to REAL criminals. In reality, it means that if you piss somebody off, and you were carrying one concealed, you go to prison for up to three years. It sucks, but that just another reason it's the Fascist State Of California."

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is per the blade forum regarding California law:

"Not only are push daggers illegal here, they are a misdemeanor/alternate felony if carried concealed. This means that if they want, the DA can charge you with a felony or a misdemeanor for carrying these knives concealed. Supposedly this is to give DA's another way to add charges to REAL criminals. In reality, it means that if you piss somebody off, and you were carrying one concealed, you go to prison for up to three years. It sucks, but that just another reason it's the Fascist State Of California."

So, if you want to carry a knife, you WILL NEED to learn about the legal restrictions in your area. Knives laws are often complicated, so make sure you know them well.

California, as with most consumer products has knife-friendly laws. But that DOES NOT mean you can carry around any knife of your fancy. Depending on the type of knife, it may even be a criminal offense to own one. The laws are updated regularly and there is a need for every concerned citizen to know what is legal and what is not.

The legality or otherwise of knives in California depends on a number of factors. In general, the type of knife and the way it is carried will determine the legality. There are several types of knives that can be worn openly in the state including bowie knives and large knives. Depending on how it is carried, a dirk or dagger is legal, as long as it is closed. This applies to pocket knives, box cutters and other kinds of utility knives. Misleading knives and those that are undetectable are all considered illegal.

TYPES OF KNIVES AND LEGAL RESTRICTIONS​

There are very specific rules surrounding switchblades, folding knives and fixed blade knives (also called dirks and daggers).

-FIXED BLADE KNIVES (DIRKS AND DAGGERS)
Fixed blade knives have no folding mechanism. Kitchen knives are the most common examples. The category can also include ice picks, push knives, bowie knives, and daggers. Then there are the more robust, military-grade substantial choppers for survival in deep uncharted woods, essential for survivalists, back-country hikers, and huntsmen.
For legal implications in California, dirks and daggers refer to knives that can be readily used as a stabbing weapon.

It is LEGAL TO OWN and CARRY these knives BUT the bearer must carry them openly. This means they should NEVER BE CONCEALED as that will make them illegal.

According to Bladeforums (in 2017) push daggers are illegal. According to this website on California knife laws (updated in 2021), they are legal as long as they are not concealed.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even if dirt dagger or fixed blade is legal to carry open, they are so eye catching you just invite scrutiny. Police might not arrest you for that, BUT they might find any excuse to pad you down. Business might refuse to go in which I think it's within their right to refuse service to anyone. It is just very inconvenient. A folding knife solve all these problem. Particular at my age, people do NOT look for weapon on me. I just clip the knife in my pant's pocket and it won't draw any attention.

Now that I know what is a dirt dagger, is it very effective. Seems like you can mainly "punch" with it. It seems to be funny to do slashing. Also, if you punch, would it rotate in you hand if you don't hit the target totally perpendicular? I don't know, never even stop and think about dirt dagger. Sorry when I read "DAGGER" in dirt dagger, I just thought it's a dagger for in the "dirt" environment. That's ignorant on my part. I did not ever register that it is totally different from a dagger!!!!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Notice how almost all the Cold Steel push daggers have blades under 4"? That's because a longer blade doesn't work as well in a push dagger configuration. Too easy to deflect off a bone, as an example. An oversized push dagger screams "wall hanger" with no practical purpose.

A katar?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if dirt dagger or fixed blade is legal to carry open, they are so eye catching you just invite scrutiny. Police might not arrest you for that, BUT they might find any excuse to pad you down. Business might refuse to go in which I think it's within their right to refuse service to anyone. It is just very inconvenient. A folding knife solve all these problem. Particular at my age, people do NOT look for weapon on me. I just clip the knife in my pant's pocket and it won't draw any attention.

Now that I know what is a dirt dagger, is it very effective. Seems like you can mainly "punch" with it. It seems to be funny to do slashing. Also, if you punch, would it rotate in you hand if you don't hit the target totally perpendicular? I don't know, never even stop and think about dirt dagger. Sorry when I read "DAGGER" in dirt dagger, I just thought it's a dagger for in the "dirt" environment. That's ignorant on my part. I did not ever register that it is totally different from a dagger!!!!
They make knives for dirt. They are called hori knives. And would probably murder the hell out of a guy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A BFK is also unnecessary. A 3-4" blade is every bit as effective. Because your organs aren't really all that deep, and humans are compressible.

Latest Discussions