Finally... and its about time too

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For the first time in a long time I got in a fairly good MA workout yesterday morning and last night. The knee made it through as did the elbow and the foot. And I figured out a whole new way to be cruel and kind to myself all at the same time :EG:

This will not sound like much to many of you and it would not have sounded like much to me a couple of years ago but after dealing with a broken right foot, followed immediately by a torn meniscus in my left knee and then a rather nasty and tenacious bout of tennis elbow in the right elbow it is a lot for me now.

Yesterday morning it was all core work, did the same this morning and added the Beijing 24 form at the end….and that felt good

Last night I did 10 minutes on the stationary bike keeping it between 18 and 21 MPH. Then did some heavy bag work, nothing spectacular but the strikes were Piquan, Zuanquan, Bengquan, Paoquan, Hengquan. I followed that with waist high heal kicks and then chin level heal kicks (My chin level and I’m 6’ tall). And then I discovered a new way to be cruel and kind to myself all at the same time.

I had not stood in Santi shi for a while and I decided to do 2 minutes per side, (although I now feel I could have handled 5 minutes per side). This was the first time ever that when switching form left Santi to right Santi that my front leg in right Santi almost buckled. I caught it and got back into Santi. I need to work my legs more often and then do Santi Shi… that was cool...

I then did Xingyiquan Wuxingquan for another 15 minutes.

DAMN that felt good.

Tonight I have another workout planned that I figured out based on all of the warm-ups I have been shown over the years… that followed by Santi Shi and Wuxingquan….. I am psyched.

I have another Xingyiquan seminar coming up at the end of the month (with apps :EG:) and if I survive that and the training this month I have plans to kick it all up a notch or 3.. time to start living up to that "genuine, certifiable MA House O' Pain maniac" label again :EG:… but more on that later...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coolness - I am happy to hear that things have mended well enough for you to try this :tup:.

My own bio-mechanical failures are also on the mend at present {fingers crossed}. Hopefully I too will be able to get back into the saddle soon.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Coolness - I am happy to hear that things have mended well enough for you to try this :tup:.

My own bio-mechanical failures are also on the mend at present {fingers crossed}. Hopefully I too will be able to get back into the saddle soon.

I hope you can get back to it soon

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dun ce suo. You should practice this. Eat ba dou and practice
Dun ce suo. Haha I'm kidding. Good to see you
Are still practicing standing around.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Did it again last night but I was actually nastier and nicer to me, the evils of Xingyiquan :EG:

After multiple variations of the warm-ups I have been show over the years and multiple kicks (mostly in the air) I decided to "Stand Around" a bit more. Did 3 minutes per side and much to my surprise left Santi was at its limit at 3 minutes but right that put more pressure on the bad knee, did not faze me at all. And of course then it was time for Wuxingquan :EG: can't believe I went this long without doing this

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sometimes when I practice I push on the quads and hips
To allow the pelvis to sink and open the kua.
My.teacher presses on certain points to open
Them to allow more of a sink and less on the knees.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sometimes when I practice I push on the quads and hips
To allow the pelvis to sink and open the kua.
My.teacher presses on certain points to open
Them to allow more of a sink and less on the knees.

Knee is not the issue and I am surprised that it isn't. The left knee is the bad knee and when standing in right Santi Shi all the weight is on it and 2 minutes was nothing and 3 minutes does not bother it either. The problem was the thigh muscle of the right leg in left santi that was maxing out at 3 minutes; it was a little better last night but still not as good as the left leg, heck I am guessing the left could go 5 minutes and this is what I can't figure out. But then we are only muscle pain and as my second Xingyiquan sifu said.... "if it is muscle pain... I don't want to hear it...just shut up and stand"...and I'm ok with that :EG:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Chuck would be proud :D

I took the two workouts that I was doing on alternate nights and slammed them together, added a dash of total gym and I did that last night and it felt great. Training is a good thing

Latest Discussions