Fighting and Self Defence are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
And how exactly would the rules inhibit certain styles but not others?
The ones who have rules similar to the rules of MMA do better in MMA because they don't have as much to adapt. A kickboxer for example will have rules in his own style that prohibit downward elbows to the back of the head, kicking a downed opponent in the head, striking to the throat etc and the same rules will apply to MMA. A martial art style that does not have those restrictions will have to adapt more to the MMA ruleset.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ones who have rules similar to the rules of MMA do better in MMA because they don't have as much to adapt. A kickboxer for example will have rules in his own style that prohibit downward elbows to the back of the head, kicking a downed opponent in the head, striking to the throat etc and the same rules will apply to MMA. A martial art style that does not have those restrictions will have to adapt more to the MMA ruleset.

You do know that there are MMA promotions out there that permit all of that right? The exact same styles that dominate more restricted MMA dominate those promotions as well. Downward strikes to the head, throat strikes, groin shots, head stomping, soccer kicks, etc. don't change the outcome.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure they do thats why a pure boxer or Wrestler wouldnt do well his rules are too different then MMA rules

Pure wrestlers and grapplers did just fine in early (read: less rules) MMA. What happened was that people coming from primarily striking styles learned how to grapple themselves, or at least counter grapple and starting beating pure grapplers.

Btw, using this argument we should be seeing prominent fighters coming out of the more "complete" classical styles that incorporate striking and grappling. However, that's never happened. Instead we have fighters coming from specialized styles who cross train to fill gaps.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pure wrestlers and grapplers did just fine in early (read: less rules) MMA.
So did pure strikers doesnt mean a whole hill of beans
What happened was that people coming from primarily striking styles learned how to grapple themselves, or at least counter grapple and starting beating pure grapplers.
Right and pure grapplers learned striking
Btw, using this argument we should be seeing prominent fighters coming out of the more "complete" classical styles that incorporate striking and grappling. However, that's never happened. Instead we have fighters coming from specialized styles who cross train to fill gaps.
Except complete classical styles don't fit with in the rules. If I have to leave out 40% of my style to make it fit the rules well its no longer that style anymore.so why bother?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, let's be clear what realistic resistance is, too. I have a student who spent a lot of time sparring. I'm having to train away some of his "resistance" in order to get realistic attacks out of him. When he gives a bear hug grab, for instance (which should be to tackle or to grab and slam), he gives it with his legs together to protect his groin. This negates the attack, and is both useless and unrealistic. Similarly, when he grabs someone, he goes stiff, to offer "resistance", but the stiffness is completely static. He's not really attacking, he's grabbing and going into rigor mortis. Real resistance should have an attacker's intent. Attackers don't grab to hold your wrist. They grab to pull you by it, keep it clear while they punch you, or to hold you in place by it. They don't really give a damn about the wrist, so a stiffened arm grabbing a wrist isn't a realistic attack - it's just someone resisting the specific technique they know is coming.

Gotta hate when they don't attack you right.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was and because you are making a point that has nothing to do with the topic.Nowhere did I say you shouldnt practice and test things

Your whole stance as been that you can't practice or test things due to the methods not being real life or death situations.

Or mabye the only way to practice or test is to engage in life threatening situations?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure they do thats why a pure boxer or Wrestler wouldnt do well his rules are too different then MMA rules

Rio hero's is probably as loose a ruleset as they come. Do you think you would perform better in that sort of environment?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your whole stance as been that you can't practice or test things due to the methods not being real life or death situations.

Or mabye the only way to practice or test is to engage in life threatening situations?
No my whole stance has been just because you test things in a controlled environment doesn't mean it will work in real life t

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rio hero's is probably as loose a ruleset as they come. Do you think you would perform better in that sort of environment?

Do I think I would perform better? No I have no desire to perform at all anywhere

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do I think I would perform better? No I have no desire to perform at all anywhere

Are you suggesting that the reason some fighting systems are held back from performing well in competition is because they are reliant on techniques that are generally banned?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that the reason some fighting systems are held back from performing well in competition is because they are reliant on techniques that are generally banned?
Reliant no but if I train in system "XYZ" and if your rules say X is illegal well its not really my style anymore so what the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions