Fight Quest

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Who saw the Fight Quest special?

It is very similar to Human Weapon but I thought over all it was a better show than both Human Weapon & Last One Standing!

These two guys get in there do the work and then fight.

Now this was the first showing so we will have to see how the rest go but the first one they showed gets my vote.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I checked the Discovery Channel schedule and the episode focused on Pencak Silat will air on 25 Jan O8 and Ibu Rita Suwanda and Pak Dadang Gunawan will be the featured instructors. On 4 Jan 08, they will air a program on Kali. I believe Tuhon Leo Gaje is one of the primary instructors in this particular episode.

With Respect,

Doc

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
doc,

I saw the one on Kali as well and I thought it was excellent. Again more real training and fighting than both Human Weapon or Last One Standing.

I am drooling out the mouth for the Silat episode on 25 Jan!

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this up!! The Silat episode is on tonight!!! I'm looking forward to it!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to this one as well! Let's all hope it is a good episode!
icon6.gif

OP
silat

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I saw it and taped it!

It was much better than the other 2 shows on Silat. Less talking and more action however I was disappointed with what they showed on Mande Muda.

I know that Ibu Rita and Mande Muda has way more to offer than what was shown. I mean that was just Olah Raga fighting.

I don't know if it was Fight Quest or Ibu Rita who came up with what was shown but they should have shown way better Silat than that.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Edie Ivester

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as technical movement in Mande Muda I was disapointed as well. However, they did stick with their hard core training and getting the hosts banged up which seems to be a winner. The Kerambit movement at the end with Jimmy and a Silat practitioner was nice. Overall this one was a little disapointing because I have trained in Mande Muda and would have liked to have seen a little more.
icon6.gif

Now the training location's were beautiful! So that was cool! Reminds me of training in Kerela, India.
icon6.gif

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The problem is the over all concept of the program (and with human weapon as well). It's not about showing the differnt aspects of the art. It's about getting someone ready for a sparring session. That being the case, and since they only have five days to prepare, the teachers are pretty limited.
Brian Jones

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is the over all concept of the program (and with human weapon as well). It's not about showing the differnt aspects of the art. It's about getting someone ready for a sparring session. That being the case, and since they only have five days to prepare, the teachers are pretty limited.
Brian Jones

Absolutely but they could have three minutes of two highly skilled Silat player's do technique even if none of the technique will make it to the fight at the end. Just a thought.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely but they could have three minutes of two highly skilled Silat player's do technique even if none of the technique will make it to the fight at the end. Just a thought.

I agree completely. It would be sweet to see some top notch artists go at it to truly display the art. Maybe you should send in the suggestion to the producers(how I have no idea).

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The producers pretty much let the host instructors run the show in terms of what they want to teach and show.
The basic plan is to have a "introduction" where Jimmy and Doug meet the instructors, and the instructors or their students give a short demo to show some of the systems techniques. Then the training starts, with a duel emphasis on showing the training regiment, and preparing the hosts for a fight.
And then for the closing fights, the host instructors again pick the format. They shoot the show over a period of 7 days with 40-60 hours of taping. That's edited down to 42 minutes of actual show time. So a lot of good material is going to end up getting cut out.
Hopefully, when they release the show on DVD a lot of out takes will be included .

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Edie and Brian, but it still was very good. The throws and sweep were done well, even if only showing the sport aspects of Mande Muda. The kerambit work was nice.
With a situation like this, they can only really learn so much over the course of a week. I try to be realistic when it comes to expectations for these shows.

One point: maybe in an upcoming series, they should train as much & in as many varied methods as possible, and then forget the competition at the end, have the top folks in the respective art display the art.
Sometimes the competitive spirit of Americans gets in their way, especially in being able to put on a good show like this.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I agree with those who were disappointed that what they saw was not as much of the other things Pencak Silat Mande Muda has to offer. However, when Fight Quest/ North-South Productions contacted us, they did make it clear that what they really wanted was the Olah Raga style sparring, over and above everything else. I think Ibu Rita had initially wanted to show much , much more. I was not there when she taught everything, but I am certain some things were left on the cutting room floor. Fight Quest basically wants full contact sparring as the climatic end of the program , so they pretty much tend to make things move toward that endpoint.

With Respect

Doc D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question why no head contact, I would imagine since this is a really deadly art the head would be a target area? I was also a little disappointed with this episode, I tought the training was OK but the sport fighting was lack luster at best.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing the same reason no head contact in Kyokushin(bare knuckles+unprotected headmight equal KO but may also equal damaged hands).

Then wear protective gear and add it they wear a chest protector, so why not more, sorry I know othing really about it so I'm asking stupid question probaly because I do not understand why sparr have way.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It strikes me odd too, but most of what Silat I do is groundwork/grappling range so we don't get many chances to do this sort of contest. I wish we did.

I wonder if it always was like this or is this is something that has come to pass over the last twenty year like some other Arts.

Latest Discussions