Fencing Schools/Teachers in China?

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I suppose the title is rather self-explanitory. Since I have been unable to find Chinese sword arts in China (with applications), I am looking to fill the void with swordsmanship from my own land. I have tried looking on Chinese search engines with no luck, but there must be some as fencing is a part of the Olympics. Any leads?

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I suppose the title is rather self-explanitory. Since I have been unable to find Chinese sword arts in China (with applications), I am looking to fill the void with swordsmanship from my own land. I have tried looking on Chinese search engines with no luck, but there must be some as fencing is a part of the Olympics. Any leads?

The Chinese fencing team is actually very strong (the men's epee world champ in 2006 is from China), but good luck getting to practice with them. I also don't think they do anything serious with any Chinese sword arts (the fencers, that is, not the Chinese) so unless you want to learn modern fencing, you're probably better off staying towards more traditional sword stuff.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by with applications; unless you carry around a Chinese sword and run into other people armed with them, there really won't be too many for you. :)

If you really want, though, I can look into fencing schools in your area as some might know a place to go. What part of China are you in?

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Chinese fencing team is actually very strong (the men's epee world champ in 2006 is from China), but good luck getting to practice with them. I also don't think they do anything serious with any Chinese sword arts (the fencers, that is, not the Chinese) so unless you want to learn modern fencing, you're probably better off staying towards more traditional sword stuff.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by with applications; unless you carry around a Chinese sword and run into other people armed with them, there really won't be too many for you. :)

If you really want, though, I can look into fencing schools in your area as some might know a place to go. What part of China are you in?

I was actually talking about modern fencing, because I'm sure that there is no WMA here. By applications I mean that what I am learning has been created for and by warriors for use on the battlefield, even if slightly watered down (So not Wushu forms). Fencing, at least, incorporates sparring (Is sparring). I live in Guilin, in the South of China (Guangxi). The biggest city near me is Nanning. I would appreciate any information you may have.

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was actually talking about modern fencing, because I'm sure that there is no WMA here. By applications I mean that what I am learning has been created for and by warriors for use on the battlefield, even if slightly watered down (So not Wushu forms). Fencing, at least, incorporates sparring (Is sparring). I live in Guilin, in the South of China (Guangxi). The biggest city near me is Nanning. I would appreciate any information you may have.

Sorry, I misread your post before. I'll do my best to find you something, but I'm afraid I can't promise anything.

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also, bear in mind that modern fencing is really not derived from battlefield use as much as it is formal duelling, which is very different.

It IS, however, completely application based in the sense of sparring. Nothing is taught unless it can be used in a bout or leads to something that can be used in a bout.

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
True, but I'm more of a gentleman, anyways. It can be said that if I have any long pointy thing after I have studied fencing, that I will be able to poke the hell of attackers. ;) I doubt you'll be able to find much, but I'm crossing my fingers. Chinese are only interested in business, gambling, and computer games.

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
True, but I'm more of a gentleman, anyways. It can be said that if I have any long pointy thing after I have studied fencing, that I will be able to poke the hell of attackers. ;) I doubt you'll be able to find much, but I'm crossing my fingers. Chinese are only interested in business, gambling, and computer games.

If you take up sabre, you could probably smack them with stuff fairly well, too. :)

And the Chinese fencing team is quite strong, so you never know.

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maarten, you're in luck. A friend of mine has a wife from around that area, so she is going to ask around. In the mean time, the Chinese federation's website is http://fencing.sport.org.cn/; you may be able to find some club listings there.

You may also be able to find something with Hong Kong's; their site is http://www.hkafa.org.hk/, or Singapore's at http://www.zfencing.com.sg/web/index1.html.

Also, more contact for the Chinese Fencing Federation:

Chinese Fencing Federation
Athletic Associations/Organizations, National Federations
Laoshan, Shijingshan Arrondissemnt Pekin 100043 BEIJING , CHINA
Tel.: +86 10 68862593
Fax: +86 10 68862596
E-mail: [email protected]

Hope those help... I should have more specific info in a few days if you need it.

Cheers,
Sean

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Copied from the fencing.net forums:

The English-language website of a Chinese manufacturer:
http://www.husheng-cn.com/engsjj.htm

The website of a fencing club in Shanghai, only in Chinese:
http://www.powerfencingclub.com/

Expats in Beijing fencing, English-language website:
http://www.expatsinchina.com/life/sports/index.html

Contact info for fencing club in Beijing, without website:
Beijing Fen Xing Fencing Club
B1F China Sports Museum, east gate of National Olympic Sports Center
Asian Games Village
Beijing, 100101
Tel: +86 (0)10 6492 9041; 6491 2233 extension 480
Fax: +86 (0)10 6492 9041

Other adress for the same club - no idea which is correct:
Beijing Fen Xing Fencing Club

Add: No 3 Anding Road, Chaoyang district, Beijing 100101

Tel: 86(0)10-6492.9041, 6491.2233 ext. 480

There is fencing in the National Taiwan Ocean University. That is the wrong country, but the coach might possibly have some leads.
The coach is: Yu-Hui Chiu
M.S., Institute of Coaching Science, National College of Physical Education
[email protected]

OP
MaartenSFS

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wouw. It seems like those places are the real deal. The only problem is that I am infinitely far away from them. I'm still checking out Guangzhou, Shenzhen because I can't leave China often on my VISA. Thanks for the leads. ;)

RITFencing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wouw. It seems like those places are the real deal. The only problem is that I am infinitely far away from them. I'm still checking out Guangzhou, Shenzhen because I can't leave China often on my VISA. Thanks for the leads. ;)

No problem. Remember that even if you can't get out to some of them to fence, they may know about fencing near you. There's nothing wrong with sending out a few inquiring emails. :)

Latest Discussions