Favourite TKD Book?

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what your favourit TKD book is, and why?

I think my favourite to date is Shihak Henry Cho's "Secrets of Korean Karate". I like the fact that it has a "how to" section on each technique in terms of using, defending and countering. A lot of it is common sense, but it's still got some good stuff in there.

I'm also partial to Doug Cook's "Taekwondo: Ancient Wisdom for the Modern Warrior". It gets a bit subjective at times, but it's still a good read.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I don't have a favorite TKD book (or favorite martial arts book for that matter), but if you practice an older style of TKD that still uses the old Japanese/Okinawan forms, you may find Tae Kwon Do Classic Forms by Ted Hillson to be invaluable. I think it's available on Amazon for about twenty bucks or so. (Some Tang Soo Do practitioners might find it useful as well, but some of the the movements may be different.)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Living the Martial Way. Not really a TKD book, and doesn't spend much (if any) time on technique, but it's seen more useful to me than a book that has +/-20 pages on technique, and 90 patterns detailed in the remaining pages.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon Tea Kwon Do textbook by Sung publishing Company, the aurthur is Kim Un-yong it was registered in March 1973. Very well book with a lot of info. regarding Kukkiwon way not just the sport.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my favorites is "Korean Karate Free fighting techniques" by S. Henry Cho. Its an older book, but it really shows how hard core TKD used to be.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Secrets of Korean Karate by Sihak Henry Cho
Taekwondo by Richard Chun

The two books above are very good for technical explanations of blocks and strikes.

The various Chang Hon hyung books by Jhoon Rhee are also good primers if you practice those forms.

Although it is not a taekwondo book, Dynamic Karate by Nakayama is a classic and much of the book directly applies to TKD technique.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a ton of books in my TKD library, but the most favorite is the Kukkiwon textbook. I find myself referring to it very often. I have the old one which Terry mentioned, and the hard-cover later version. I don't have the updated 2005 version yet and have been waiting relatively patiently for it to get to the USA as I don't want to pay the shipping from Korea.

Favorite non-TKD martial art book would be "Analysis of Shaolin Chin-Na" by Dr. Yang. I like the way Dr. Yang has classified various joint locks:fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder,etc. A very orderly progression.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I have a ton of books in my TKD library, but the most favorite is the Kukkiwon textbook. I find myself referring to it very often. I have the old one which Terry mentioned, and the hard-cover later version. I don't have the updated 2005 version yet and have been waiting relatively patiently for it to get to the USA as I don't want to pay the shipping from Korea.

Favorite non-TKD martial art book would be "Analysis of Shaolin Chin-Na" by Dr. Yang. I like the way Dr. Yang has classified various joint locks:fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder,etc. A very orderly progression.

Miles
Miles I can get you the 2005 updated one if you like, don't remember the cost but will check on it Tuesday if you are interested>
terry

Latest Discussions