Favorite Teaching Stories, Myths, Parables

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have seen a few threads where people have listed stories that have informed their training attitudes and experiences, which is really one of the purposes of parable and myth. The strength of a teaching parable is that the implications can by-pass conscious resistance to a direct suggestion, and be "discovered" by the listener.

What are some of the myths, stories, or parables you have come accross that you relate to in your training? (i.e., 3 archers; the master pouring tea for the egocentric student; diamonds in the desert; etc.).

What is the parable/story, and how has it shaped your experience? What you you want succeeding generations to learn and take away from it?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Have seen a few threads where people have listed stories that have informed their training attitudes and experiences, which is really one of the purposes of parable and myth. The strength of a teaching parable is that the implications can by-pass conscious resistance to a direct suggestion, and be "discovered" by the listener.

What are some of the myths, stories, or parables you have come accross that you relate to in your training? (i.e., 3 archers; the master pouring tea for the egocentric student; diamonds in the desert; etc.).

What is the parable/story, and how has it shaped your experience? What you you want succeeding generations to learn and take away from it?
My favorite is the Sam Ting story. I'll paraphrase... A an obviously chinese man was asked to show his ID and on the ID it said his name was Bob O'riely. When the person asked how a chinese man got such an obviously Irish name the chinese man explainded... "during mass immigration at Ellis island I was behind an Irish man in line. The man told them his name was Bob O'riely, when they asked me my name I said Sam Ting. And thats how I got the name Bob O'riely."EP
Sean

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was told one used to explain sweeps and buckles in the kenpo system.

The instructor asks if anyone could move a big tractor tire with one finger. The students know its a trick but say "no." The instructor of course says he can. He would just have to jack it up and break its contact with the ground. The student is taught that in order to move the opponent's leg they need to break its hold against the ground either by lifing or shifting the weight.

My favorite story was told to me by a senior student. The master was explaining to him one day that if you punched a person in the jaw their head would whip around the other way and then swing back. The student asked him how he knew and the master replied.

"I went to the mall and I walked through the crowds, pushing people in the side of the face. Ten out of ten times, their heads bounced back."

Ten out of ten times.

Can't argue with that.

-Rob

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ummm. I remember hearing this story, supposedly intended to teach respect for others who are different, but there are probably other lessons that could be drawn out of it. Not sure of the story's origin though or the exact details, but the background is Japanese.

There was this boy, wearing the family crest on his jacket, entering into a shop excitedly. The shopkeeper took a look at him and immediately knew the boy came from a poor family. What could this boy possibly want of his wares?

The magistrate was already in the shop chatting with the shopkeeper. The boy looked up at the magistrate. "Sir, don't you think these dogs are great?" He was referring to the three 50-pound ceramic dog statues. "My grandfather would certainly like to have one. It's his birthday and I want to get him one of these fine dogs!" The magistrate remembered that the boy's grandfather is a well-known, respected, hard-working farmer. The boy then turned around and asked the shopkeeper, "How much does one of these cost?"

The shopkeeper peered at him and answered, "Probably more than you can afford." He glanced over to the magistrate and thought perhaps to have some fun with the boy. "How much do you have?"

The magistrate leaned forward, becoming interested in the conversation. He was pondering the idea of perhaps having the boy turn over whatever he had, then he would pay the difference, to enable the boy to get the ceramic dog for his grandfather.

"Only 100 yen, sir." The shopkeeper laughed because one dog costs almost 33000 yen. He looked over to the magistrate and winked. "I'll tell you what, boy, I'll let you have all three dogs for 100 yen if you can carry one all by yourself!"

The boy looked at him, stricken. He realized then the shopkeeper had no intention of selling him the dogs since he could not possibly carry 50-pounds on his back. He turned around, dejected, and exited the store.

The magistrate shook his head, extremely disappointed. He got an idea, and called after the boy. "Come back!" The boy stopped, looked back, and returned to the store, puzzled. The magistrate said, "Go ahead and give the shopkeeper the 100 yen. The dogs are yours!" The boy looked at the magistrate, uncertain, while giving the shopkeeper his yen. "But I cannot possibly carry?" The magistrate smiled. "Oh yes, you can! Here, break the dogs with this rock and carry all the pieces one by one home." The storekeeper gasped, saying, "Oh, this cannot be done! These dogs are expensive! I will lose!"

The magistrate shook his head. "You offered to sell the three dogs for 100 yen. The boy has paid you. He really does not need all three. I'm sure he will be happy to give you back the two dogs if you will call for a porter to carry the one dog to his grandfather's house." The shopkeeper stared at the magistrate, then slowly agreed and sent for a porter. The boy skipped happily on his way with the porter behind carrying the gorgeous ceramic dog to his grandfather's home. It will definitely be a birthday to remember!

The shopkeeper grumbled. The magistrate looked at him, and said, "It is never a good idea to make fun of another's station in life, whether poor or rich."

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score

I can't take credit for this story, but in my opinion it is among the most important stories for most modern martial artists to hear. It originally appeared in the Rec. m-a newsgroup on usenet(2001-04-26), posted by one 'Ketho of Davenant'. I present it in its entirety. I quote it often.The original can be found with a google search on the author's name.

In a small mountain village a young boy and his crippled, widow mother used to
carry pitifully small bundles of firewood down from the moutains. They sold
them in the village for the few coins that would buy their meager rice
allotments that barely kept them alive.
Late one day, after labouriously hauling their wood down to the market and
collecting a few coins a master swordsman approached the pair.
Dressed in the finest silk, carrying a sword of the finest manufacture, he
paused before the dishevled pair, crippled widow mother and child, and laughed.
In a flash he stole the few coins from the poor woman's hand, ruffled the young
boy's hair and sauntered arrogantly away.
This careless cruelty was too much for the woman and she died that night in a
puddle of her own tears.
Outraged, the young boy swore that night that the swordsman's cruelty would not
go unanswered. The next day the boy went to the mountains, and while he
gathered his firewood he swung a stout stick like a weapon. As the days rolled
into weeks and the weeks into months the youth became stronger and stronger. He
swung his stick with more and more skill. Months rolled into years and the
youth became a man. One day, the man who was the boy was selling his firewood
in the market when the very same swordsman from years early walked up and
stopped in front of him! Dressed in even finer silk and carrying an even more
splendid sword he stared at the man and then laughed! "Aren't you the same
peasant who I robbed on this very spot so many years ago" he sneered. "Yes."
said the young man with immense restraint. "But this is not then. And though
your cruelty was the death of my mother when I was a child, you shall not
ruffle my hair again". With that he held out one hand. It held the exact same
number of coins that the swordsman had robbed from his crippled widow mother so
many years earlier. His other hand held his stout stick. Seeing the
determination of the young man and eyeing that stout stick the swordsman
replied "Perhaps you are right. I will not be ruffling your hair any more." In
a flash the master swordsman sliced off the young man's head and caught the
coins in mid air as the young man's body collapsed to the dirt, bleeding his
life out thu his ruined neck. Turning on his heel, he sauntered away, laughing.
The End.

Moral: You might think you are a badass, but you are not.

Ketho

"To search for the old is to understand the new."

It just gives me the warm fuzzies.

Matt

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome, CC. Very Idries Shah-like.

Thank you.

I've never heard of Idries Shah until you mentioned him. I did a bit of research and now I see what you mean. I agree with your observation.

- CC

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Thank you.

I've never heard of Idries Shah until you mentioned him. I did a bit of research and now I see what you mean. I agree with your observation.

- CC
If you like to read, find anything by him about the tales of the Mullah Nasrudin. Very clever ideas communicated in parable.

Enjoy!

Dr. Dave

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
During a short truce in the Crusades, a western knight was dining in the tent of a Saracen lord, partaking of his hospitality. Full of himself and drink, the knight boasted about the power of his western broadsword. To illustrate his point, he laid a length of thick chain over a log, and with one mighty chop, cleaved the chain in half.

The Saracen lord said "that's impressive, but can your sword do this?". He tossed a handkerchief into the air, and flicked his lighter, thinnner scimitar past it many times. It fell to the floor in dozens of smaller pieces.

Moral: No one Way works for all situations. Study many paths so you have the flexibility to select from many tools, to find the one just right for the situation you are in.

Until we meet again in that place where we are all one,

Dr. Dave

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any more parables out there to share?

- Ceicei

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A student asked a monk, "What happens after enlightenment?". The reply, "Chop wood, carry water."

Source unknown.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is taken from the Tao Oracle, by Ma Deva Padma, and is a modern interpretation of teachings from the The Book of Changes and the I Chang. To me this passage, in terms of martial studies, speaks to us to remain open in our training allowing The Creative to come to you and not force or rush your way up the belt ladder:

The Creative represents ultimate potential. It only manifests in an atmosphere of receptivity so charged that the quickening flash of inspiration can arc across it. In ancient China this potentiality, brimming on the point of being, was accorded the highest respect and was attributed to heaven. Known as the dragon power, it was depicted as an illuminated dragon continuously twisting in the darkness of the void. In the West it has been called the hand of God that creates all things. Because its very nature is the lack of a fixed form, the enormous energy of The Creative is indefinable. This is the primary and active force that is spontaneous and unpredictable, untiring in a nature that is eternally in motion effecting change.

Remaining in an attitude of openness, with a yes to the twists and turns of life unfolding attracts The Creative. When expectations are dropped, we are able to yield to, and be transformed by, what comes from heaven. In that receptivity we become available for The Creative to descend - stimulating inspiration. It is as if, waiting in an attitude of openness, you are impregnated with the seed of creative expression. Through its potency, everything is made manifest: the entire universe is governed by its principles, across all dimensions from the molecular to the cosmic. Its signature is visible throughout nature and human consciousness. The Creative is yang, and the active principle balancing The Receptive, the yin principle. Their entwined harmony is depicted as the yin/yang symbol; they are utterly interdependent and can never be separated. The mighty force must have something to act upon, and inspire into being.

MJ :asian:

O

OC Kid

My first instructor used to tell us about the differences between a wish and a want. A wish is something a person sits back and dreams about thinking someday. A want is something that a person wants and goes out and works for it until they attain it no matter how long it takes. When I relate this story to my students I alway add if they ever heard heard of Thomas Alva Edison. they say yes. I ask if they know what he was famous for? They say he invented the light bulb. I reply correct now, do they know how many experiaments it took him to invent it, 100, 150 maybe , they reply with yea thats about right. I then tell them would you believe approximately 720 thousand experiments. he wanted to invent the light bulb not wished for it.

Another story I like is from Richard Kims Book called the Classical man. Its a book of short stories. The one I like is called "I have learned enough'. its about a guy who was always in a hurry. He was supposed to be taught caligraphy for some big event . well his teacher started to instruct him and he rushed through it told the teacher Yea Yea I know , I got it and when the event came the guy made a fool of himself because he only learned half of the words he was supposed to write.
Well anyway, I really like this book and I recommend it to everyone who hasnt read it. Its full of good stories with morals.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A grumpy old dabbler in the martial arts was once asked about the difference between styles.
"Ain't all types of kroddy the same?" came the question.
"Well," he answered," are not all types of autos the same? You know, an engine, wheels, steering wheel, seats? So an SUV is the same thing as a Ferrari, right?"
"So which style is better?"
"Which auto is better, the Ferrari or the SUV?"
"The Ferrari, for sure!"
"So, if you're stuck in the middle of the Amazon jungle (oops- rain forrest), you'd rather have the Ferrari?"
"No, I guess the SUV is better."
"So, if you're on the Salt Flats of Utah, racing for a fortune, honor, glory, and all that, you'd rather have the SUV?"
"OK, so it all depends on the situation, right?"
"In part. Look around town, people drive all different types of cars for all different types of reasons, even though they drive on the same streets. Some drive the car they drive because it was a gift. Some, because they have always driven that type of car. Some, because it was all they could afford. Some, because they think that car is the best around. Some, because they think the car will make them look cool. Some, to overcome personal deficiencies. Regardless of the reason, just remember- there's room on the road for all of us." :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
A grumpy old dabbler in the martial arts was once asked about the difference between styles.
"Ain't all types of kroddy the same?" came the question.
<snip>
Regardless of the reason, just remember- there's room on the road for all of us.

I really like that analogy!

- Ceicei