"Fair Housing" Center of Michigan...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...sez that you can't ask for a Christian roommate, even if you're advertising such a thing in your own church, and rent / own the property yourself....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/2...led-christian-roommate-advertisement/#content

a woman in Grand Rapids, Mich., who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.

Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s case was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of the case, she said, the woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”

I hope that this case gets thrown out of court.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assume there are also restrictions on filtering for other 'traits' when trying to rent out a room e.g. specifying no Blacks or no Irish or non-smoker only?

If not then it is indeed a bit 'off' to only not allow people to discriminate on religious grounds, especially if it is their own property.

Housing regulations are often put in place with the best of intentions but non-anticipated situations often clog up the bureaucratic wheels :(.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It isn't as if she put an ad in the paper asking for a Christian roommate, she put the ad on the Church's bulletin board.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would also mean that she couldn't post that she wants a female roommate. Or a guy can't post that he wants a male roommate (or a female roommate for that matter).

Wow.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see the flap if she was renting an apartment.

But a room? Sheesh.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see the flap if she was renting an apartment.

But a room? Sheesh.
I could see the flap if she posted in a more public forum. That she posted on the church's bulletin board, makes this more than a little ridiculous.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would also mean that she couldn't post that she wants a female roommate. Or a guy can't post that he wants a male roommate (or a female roommate for that matter).

Wow.

Just the point I was trying to make, Carol :nods:.

The laws are there to prevent unjust discrimination, as was all too prevalent in times past. But a person should have the right to decide who they have share their home/property with them, even if it is a financial arrangement.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. I'd have a helluva time with a posting that said "no blacks" or "no Irish" or something along those lines.

But since gender and age are both protected classes, this would mean an 18 year old college co-ed who is losing a flat-mate for whatever reason wouldn't be able to advertise that she is looking for another college-age female to room with. That's....just....stunning.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the claimed-applicable section of law, as near as I can determine. It should be noted that it contains an exemption for multi-family dwellings of less than 4 families (or individuals), provided that the owner of the dwelling actually lives in the dwelling.

AKA, if you are leasing a bedroom in your own home, you have the ability to discriminate as you please. If you are letting your guest or summer house out, you can discriminate as you please. If you own significant property clearly meant for leasing to the public for the significant purpose of providing housing - the anti-discrimination laws apply.

Given that the law is fairly clearly written - what's the missing half of the story?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...so...

The law with the exemption is the Michigan (state-level), law.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mshda/fair_housing_act_272940_7.pdf

The complaint was filed with state-level offices.

However, according to this article by a local news outlet, the complainant is (now) saying that it violates federal law. Unfortunately I'm on my way out the door and can't cross check the HUD law but it is linked below.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Is-Christian-roommate-ad-legal

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Re-reading: The Michigan 'law' is not Michigan law, despite it being on their site, it's the Fair Housing Act of the United States Code.

Again: What's the rest of the story? What situation is this lady in to make the law applicable? Or is this an axe-grinding that's just going to waste money?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be a person with an axe to grind with the lady. Or, it could just be one of those types of people that will speed up their auto when they see you signal a lane change.

Latest Discussions