Expanding Skill Set

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to ask. Maybe not 'chi sau' exactly, but surely there are two-person drills that incorporate the system's ideas of movement and principles?

I train Tibetan White Crane and we have a chi sau drill. It's very differnent from Wing Chun's chi sau, but we call it the same thing.

So yeah, I think whether by the same name or by another name, there ought to be some training method in there that accomplishes the same thing.

OP
D

djsHowatt

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the good comments and advice. The class (not a specific system) I am in does very few two person or pad drills, it is mainly a forms class. That was the main reason I wanted to expand my skill set.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for all the good comments and advice. The class (not a specific system) I am in does very few two person or pad drills, it is mainly a forms class. That was the main reason I wanted to expand my skill set.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

A couple of questions: could you give more info about the Five Animals method you are studying? You say it's not a specific system, so what exactly is it? Is it a blend/hodge-podge of stuff taken from various sources? Is it something your sifu compiled himself, and if so, where did he learn it?

Are you questioning the very training you are getting, and suspecting it may not be adequate or may be very superficial? Do you want to keep training with him while exploring other things, or are you thinking it might be time to move one?

Latest Discussions