Exits & Moderation: Was :Zach Whitson Seminar

OP
B

brianhunter

What not whitty banter?? No Snappy come back? Kirk you have to stop this maturity thing before someone thinks your an adult :) See ya around bud

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by KenpoTess
I think this thread had a topic.. though it has totally digressed..

Play nice guys..

Tess

We are playing nice :) Me and Kirk talk daily and have for awhile, text might have come off wrong but it was just taking a quick poke at a bud :) And if we stayed completely on topic for every thread how much fun would this place be??? Some of it should be about having fun and bonding WITH our kenpo right???

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by brianhunter
What not whitty banter?? No Snappy come back? Kirk you have to stop this maturity thing before someone thinks your an adult :) See ya around bud

Brian WAS going to come to this seminar, but he decided to NOT
come because he found out he can't dummy for Squeezing The Peach repeatedly. :D

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are playing nice :) Me and Kirk talk daily and have for awhile, text might have come off wrong but it was just taking a quick poke at a bud :) And if we stayed completely on topic for every thread how much fun would this place be??? Some of it should be about having fun and bonding WITH our kenpo right???

Yes it does tend to 'come off wrong' Brian.. maybe you and Kirk would like to start a bantering thread in the Locker room.. :)

Tess

OP
K

Kirk

Please remove my membership from this board

OP
B

brianhunter

Yeah me too....I think Im done posting here. What I dont get is I have seen obscenities in threads, down right threats that "on topic" and yet 2 GOOD friends mind you cant tease each other in a thread. I seem to remember "boot to the groin" coming from an off topic thread somewhere that seemed to be a favorite of posters everywhere.

One of the things I used to enjoy about this board was the FRIENDLY chats, jokes, sense of humor, and good times had by many in OFF TOPIC THREADS. Its kenpo, and its life, and Id hate to tell you but it all gets off topic. I have found other boards to post on but come back here because of some of the friendships I have developed. If we are going to have thread nazis who wont let those friendships cultivate then I am out! This isnt the place for me.

Non-hateful curse free speech should be allowed, teasing a buddy should be allowed, Im sorry but this does not require moderation in my opinion.

Please remove my account. Feel free to contact of notify me if you have any policy or moderation procedure changes and actually allow people to have fun talking and joking again. It used to be "friendly martial arts talk" was the theme here. Now its about the freaking thread nazis! Id hate to say it but some of the thread nazis where at one point and time the worse offenders of the "staying off topic but having a good friendly time posters" Thank you for your time.

Brian Hunter

Peace and Chicken grease

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in no way moderating anyone.. I was just stating my opinion.. as a board member.. and making a suggestion to open a thread in the locker room. It's difficult to tell when people are joking anymore...

Sorry if I offended ...

Tess

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Yeah me too....I think Im done posting here. What I dont get is I have seen obscenities in threads, down right threats that "on topic" and yet 2 GOOD friends mind you cant tease each other in a thread. I seem to remember "boot to the groin" coming from an off topic thread somewhere that seemed to be a favorite of posters everywhere.

One of the things I used to enjoy about this board was the FRIENDLY chats, jokes, sense of humor, and good times had by many in OFF TOPIC THREADS. Its kenpo, and its life, and Id hate to tell you but it all gets off topic. I have found other boards to post on but come back here because of some of the friendships I have developed. If we are going to have thread nazis who wont let those friendships cultivate then I am out! This isnt the place for me.

Non-hateful curse free speech should be allowed, teasing a buddy should be allowed, Im sorry but this does not require moderation in my opinion.

Please remove my account. Feel free to contact of notify me if you have any policy or moderation procedure changes and actually allow people to have fun talking and joking again. It used to be "friendly martial arts talk" was the theme here. Now its about the freaking thread nazis! Id hate to say it but some of the thread nazis where at one point and time the worse offenders of the "staying off topic but having a good friendly time posters" Thank you for your time.

Brian Hunter

Peace and Chicken grease

I seem to remember when there was only one forum and they decided to open up a technical forum so things wouldn't get off topic when it came to technical stuff and kept all the silly good natured ribbing in the General.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cut me some slack, You know it is ok to kid, but when has it gone too far, when has a thread drifted too far. It will take us a while to get consistant with this. Tolerate us for a while, after all, you tolerated us up to now as fellow posters ... our personalities don't change, nor do we.

We just have to figure out where we all stand and learn this moderating thing. As a regular poster, I might have pointed something out ... or said, there goes another thread. But lots are still fun, as both of you know, and they will stay that way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have closed the accounts of Kirk and brianhunter in accordance with their requests.

Remember, mod. statements are only official if signed as below, otherwise they are that moderator's opinion as a member only.

While we do allow greater freedom in Kenpo-General, topicality within a given thread is still desired. This thread should principally be related to Mr. Witson's seminar. Some drift is fine, but too much makes threads worthless.

Feel free to set up a "Kenpo Conversation" thread if desired! Indeed, "bonding" is valuable and is certainly permissible. We don't want to be topic cops but we do want this board to be a useful resource, with good information. Chats are better kept to The Locker Room or even the Chat Room.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Sorry if I offended ...

Tess

Tess, I was apparently chatting with Kirk on AIM when this all happened. I came over to look read, made a post, deleted it, but now I'll post here.

It looks to me like Brian teased Kirk, Kirk didn't get it :shrug: and then you didn't get it either. Then Brian said they were kidding each other and then they both quit.

Well good riddance. I like them both, but what is going on? Neither one of them have a defensible position in this. They started it and then they quit. It makes no sense at all.

You didn't do anything that I found offensive, it really looks like they both have some type of underlying issue and they just got fed up and left because you tried to keep them on topic and warned them to play nice because you didn't understand what they were doing.

I still don't understand why they decided to let their phone conversation spill over to this thread. Were we supposed to be able to keep up with that?

They were off topic when you said so. They took offense at you erring on the side of caution telling them to Play Nice.

If that is going to irriate them, they should go.

God help me if we were doing techniques and I hit them too hard on with an insert. What would they do then? Explode at me?

This is the only board I visit with any kind of frequency and I got here because I was invited initially by Mr. C. I go to Kenponet a bit. I have never used Usenet groups or any of that or bulletin boards before I came to MartialTalk.

Many times, and perhaps especially here there seems to be some kind of "Hey, why don't we all meet on the internet and have a private conversation in a public place and pretend to be snotty and take offense at people who don't 'get it' and shun them" attitude. Like at lunch in Junior High.

This looks like what happened here. Kirk and Brian were on this board, trying to promote Mr. Whitson's seminar. Brian made a joke. Kirk acted like he didn't get it, or blew it off. Tess got confused. Kirk picked up his marbles and went home. Brian did the same. And now looking at it even a half hour later it really makes them both look like overly-sensitive hotheads.

I don't think Tess did anything wrong. I think these two would have been better off sticking to teasing each other on the phone, but if there will be less of this on MartialTalk then I for one won't miss it.

And just to prove I'm not being a prude, I'll look for another excuse to tease Tess about her Avatar again. Or is that update her Avatar? Same effect. :D But I'll go do that somewhere else where it would make more sense.

Maybe someone will post some type of a review of the seminar, if they don't form the "International Kenpo Karateists who don't visit MartialTalk Association" from all of this. :rofl:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by arnisador
I have closed the accounts of Kirk and brianhunter in accordance with their requests.

Remember, mod. statements are only official if signed as below, otherwise they are that moderator's opinion as a member only.

While we do allow greater freedom in Kenpo-General, topicality within a given thread is still desired. This thread should principally be related to Mr. Witson's seminar. Some drift is fine, but too much makes threads worthless.

Feel free to set up a "Kenpo Conversation" thread if desired! Indeed, "bonding" is valuable and is certainly permissible. We don't want to be topic cops but we do want this board to be a useful resource, with good information. Chats are better kept to The Locker Room or even the Chat Room.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

What a waste, I for one am sad to see them go. I can tell you I certainly won't be posting here near as much if at all the way things are going.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Sorry to see you guys go. You'll be missed, it'll be a lot more boring around here.

I understand Moderation is a learning curve, but there were only 3 side comments between Kirk and Brian before the got what "Seemed to be" a slap on the wrist from Tess. Even if she didn't mean it too be.

Consistancy is what will keep people happy, there are TONS of threads that go way off topic and no one says a word. It's not a good sign when so many people are leaving because of misunderstandings like this.

But this is only my opinion, I could be out in left field for all I know.

Dot
:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, we are all off topic now.

It looks like several of us posted about the same time.

I suggest this thread be closed or split so that general issues of moderation can be discussed elsewhere.

But I would like to hear how the seminar goes. So maybe don't close the thread.

Back to the Topic:
I won't be able to attend the seminar. I get to have surgery again this fall so I'll be lucky to do 2 more Kenpo events this year if I get to do that many and both of them are commitments going back to April or earlier. I have recently done some of Mr. Whitson's Counterpoint drills and they seem very interesting. I may try to catch him later. I'm sure this seminar will be cool. But based on my experience so far, my brain would probably explode trying to re-tool and keep up. But again, I think the drills are very cool. I have not seen a/the tape however. And I also heard that Mr. Whitson made quite a splash at the Homecoming in Pasadena.

Whew. Sometimes posting on here is like herding cattle (from what I see in the movies). Are we back on the right trail yet?
:rolleyes:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A little drift is always been ok. Same with the friendly banter.

When it gets out of hand thats when mods should step in and nudge em. I don't see this as having been too far out of line, up to the point where Kirk jumped ship and Brian followed.

What I do NOT understand is where the comments of 'Thread Nazis' were warrented or the suggestion that we are giving folks a hard time is coming from.

We have 2 mods for Kenpo. They are Kenpoists. They are doing their job of stearing things in an active manner.

Wheres the problem?

As to Clydes comments - Why? What has changed that now has you riled up?

I tend to agree a bit with Doug here:
Many times, and perhaps especially here there seems to be some kind of "Hey, why don't we all meet on the internet and have a private conversation in a public place and pretend to be snotty and take offense at people who don't 'get it' and shun them" attitude. Like at lunch in Junior High.

This looks like what happened here. Kirk and Brian were on this board, trying to promote Mr. Whitson's seminar. Brian made a joke. Kirk acted like he didn't get it, or blew it off. Tess got confused. Kirk picked up his marbles and went home. Brian did the same. And now looking at it even a half hour later it really makes them both look like overly-sensitive hotheads.

(And yes, I know I'm off topic here. This will be split off shortly to focus more on Zachs seminar than anything else.)

Maybe its just me, but when a thread on 'Clutching Feathers' turns into recipies for Fried Chicken, maybe, just maybe, some moderation is needed. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of someone who skims a lot thinking they need to lug a deep fryer and flour mix with them to tourniments..... ;)

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I tend to agree a bit with Doug here

Future moderator in the making:shrug:... lol

We have 2 mods for Kenpo. They are Kenpoists. They are doing their job of stearing things in an active manner.
Wheres the problem?

This isn't a democracy, it is your thing, but its success depends on our input. So why not say hey guys, a couple of people want to moderate this forum, what do ya think? If nothing else, we have more experience in Kenpo and can give you feedback on if they have the experience (knowledge & disposition) for the job. You got my personal email and it was before any of this other mess. You're focus is Arnis so we shouldn't expect you to know if someone can just talk a good game (on the internet) or if they know their stuff.

As to Clydes comments - Why? What has changed that now has you riled up?

Once again, even a crazy, hairy man can make sense...In general Kenpo folks are non-conformist (in my opinion). They desire not to be "bound by tradition...". But once again this is your gig and I'm sure some unofficial jr. mods will step up to assist in replying..

Oh, and to stay on topic, has anyone had a chance to work any of the counter pt drills? I know Doug has because I was the one that initially showed them to him. If so, what did you get out of them? Have you made any of your own?

Latest Discussions