Ever seen or heard of a physical exam for testing to 8th Dan?

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a picture of my sons teacher while doing his forms on the floor of the Kukkiwon for his 8th.

I used to think thats crazy...to me at that level its about the school, Org and what you have done for the art and time in the art. At the same time now you have 1 or 2 generations that satrted as kids that are still young enough but have time in rank for the Dan. Given that it seems they are still treating it like the earlier tests. So it seems on what little I have to go on.

Dave O.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
TBH, I wouldn't think there'd be too much testing for that rank period.

However, if so... I can't see there being an issue with it.

Sure, after around 4th or so it's more about what you give back but I don't see there being anything wrong with some physical testing; a form or two, some techniques, etc... at that point that would be more pomp and circumstance than anything I would think.

Is it rare? It is in my experience but that's not saying a whole lot. LOL

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I saw one last year of a 7th dan testing for 8th. He did mostly Self -Defence and One Steps, 2 forms and He had to do a 5 station board break.

This was CDK TKD.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe the ATA does this. I seem to remember hearing about their grandmaster (both the current one and his deceased brother H.U. Lee) performing a demo/test of some type during their annual convention/gathering in Arkansas to show their fitness to lead the organization and to hold a 9th dan.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
USTF tests for 7th. ITF - V test for 7th and 8th now. Prior to the Gneral's death testing stopped at 6th.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up until recently 7th , 8th and 9th dans were honorary at my club but there was a form for these 3 grades but they didnt have to perform the form to go to the next rank. There is some talk now , though , that they may get the form to be done and demonstrated as part of obtaining those higher ranks even though they wont be graded as such on how they do the form.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen some TKD GM's testing other Dan's up to 8th Dan. And I took a test for 8th Dan in Aikido...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 8th your generally old, or should be. Technique is more important then a physical exam.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My GM had a physical test at the Kukkiwon for his 9th Dan. I think it just consisted of poomsae. But it was a test.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the honor of being invited to witness the physical test of GM Rose to 8th dan.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know alot of people that say it is a physical test but from what I have always seen it is more of a demo. about certain techs. and poomsae, asking someone in there sixty or seventies to do a real physical test is not always the best idea, just my opinion here.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know alot of people that say it is a physical test but from what I have always seen it is more of a demo. about certain techs. and poomsae, asking someone in there sixty or seventies to do a real physical test is not always the best idea, just my opinion here.

My test consisted of doing every move, action, event from 10th Kyu to 4th Dan (which for the most part new teachings end, if not sooner...), teaching (brand) new students in front of the panel, teaching a mid level student the next belt requirements, teaching a student that just made 1st Kyu 1st Dan requirements, 1st Dan 2nd Dan requirements, teaching a 2nd Dan 3rd Dan requirements, and coaching a 1st Dan and a 2nd Dan as they taught classes. (Not all at the same time.) I also had to write a paper on Aikido. I did not have to do push ups, sit ups, run, etc. Just do all aspects of the art as a "Student", then as an "Instructor".

So it wasn't a demo per say, but it was at the same time.... Aren't all test a demo though?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My test consisted of doing every move, action, event from 10th Kyu to 4th Dan (which for the most part new teachings end, if not sooner...), teaching (brand) new students in front of the panel, teaching a mid level student the next belt requirements, teaching a student that just made 1st Kyu 1st Dan requirements, 1st Dan 2nd Dan requirements, teaching a 2nd Dan 3rd Dan requirements, and coaching a 1st Dan and a 2nd Dan as they taught classes. (Not all at the same time.) I also had to write a paper on Aikido. I did not have to do push ups, sit ups, run, etc. Just do all aspects of the art as a "Student", then as an "Instructor".

So it wasn't a demo per say, but it was at the same time.... Aren't all test a demo though?

Yes for the most part, but what I was referring to is a physical test. Lets say push ups sit ups and all the physical aspect like sparring for 4 hours and getting the **** kick out of you, that would not be the justify to me at that age.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes for the most part, but what I was referring to is a physical test. Lets say push ups sit ups and all the physical aspect like sparring for 4 hours and getting the **** kick out of you, that would not be the justify to me at that age.

I did have to compete against 8 people at one time, but it didn't last 4 hours that is for sure... (And in actuality even with that many people coming at you, you are only fighting two or three at most at one time, so....)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago I watched my former GM test for 8th dan. There were 4 GM's from the KKW (They were traveling around the us conducting exams) and he had to do his poomsae, go through an interview/oral exam and turn in a 10 page essay. They awarded it to him 6 months later.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has heard of this or been to an exam testing from 7th to 8th Dan?
Yes. The ATA requires all members to test for rank. GM H. U. Lee, the founder of the organization, set the requirement that there would be no "honorary" ranks for the seniors. You want to promote, you get out there and earn it. And it's not just a testing; there are other requirements for promotion to 3rd Degree and higher that have to be accomplished before you even get permission to test for the rank.

When he tested for 9th Degree, he brought in a panel of recognized Grandmasters from other Taekwondo styles and tested before them. They had to agree that his technique and ability were worthy of the rank and title of Grandmaster.

I saw his testing, as well as the testing of the current Grandmaster S. H. Lee, his successor. It is incredible to watch people who have been doing this for as long as they have get out on the floor and air it out.

Latest Discussions