Equipment use

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone here use Boxing gloves along with there TKD training, I mean not to Box, but just use the equipment for your personal training. I bought some for my student to use starting tonight so they can throw punches at full speed and have that extra protection do you fine folks think this is a good ideal.
Terry

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've always used boxing gloves, not the real huge ones though. We have used them mainly so that errant hands from newbies do not go to the face. But, from there they have become regular equipment for sparring so that we can now strike to the face. Backhand doesn't have as much impact as say a straight punch or uppercut so those have to be more gentle. Personally, I use a MMA leather glove with the palm out for kickboxing and that is enough for bag use. Other times, we just punch the bag barehanded to toughen up hands. TW

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We use gloves in our gym. There are primarily 2 styles: the "open palm red Macho-brand gloves" and the other more full boxing style gloves. We use them all the time, in fact they are required equipment at orange or yellow belt I believe. We use them as targets when doing technique (so your partner has something to hit or kick), and we also use them for one of my favorite drills-body punching-where we throw on the gloves and punch each other full speed/strength (for the most part-depending on your partner).

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Does anyone here use Boxing gloves along with there TKD training, I mean not to Box, but just use the equipment for your personal training. I bought some for my student to use starting tonight so they can throw punches at full speed and have that extra protection do you fine folks think this is a good ideal.
Terry

A few of the people I spar with use boxing gloves. The only down side is that they give you an exaggerated guard. Reccommended equipment for us is more of a vinyl mitten. Century and a few other places make gloves in the appropriate style. (They're not reccommended for full contact shots tho.)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we dont use them but I will start using them in our school though.
I think boxing gloves may be a lil too big but the mittens as some have suggested would be good though.
I just thought everyone just using sparing gloves when they sparred in school and that was it but it is good to see you all use them for other purposes and I will make sure to incorporate them. If any of you have various drills please share so that I may teach them.