EPAK Slapping from another Systems Viewpoint.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Trejo said:
Its all about the sound effects
With respect, I think you have failed to read the rest of the posts here before making such a sweeping statement.

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I looked at this experiment and if the position of the outward elbow is the same in both cases, I would expect the results to be the same. The route or method applied to get to the outward elbow strike should not matter.

The outward elbow strike is braced because your fist should be tight against your chest at the point of completion.

yay, or nay?
Having just started my journey into SL4 I can categorically state that the route/method taken in getting to the strike, whatever that strike may be IS paramount to delivering the most effective structurally sound and devastating strike - we have tested this in class over and over again and the results are unquestionable - even in the short time I have been studying SL4, I am now beginning to be able to "feel" when my body is correct in its alignment and structural integrity for the execution/delivery of a strike (although I still get it wrong sometimes!) - in effect I am re-learning correct mechanisms which over the years my body has forgotten and this is why when you are performing these moves you have to "feel" what you are doing – you may not get it right the first time but when you do you’ll know it!!! :)

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WhiteTiger said:
I have analyzed your experiment, and I think I understand where your coming from here. But in this example you are trading off other efficiencies to gain proper anatomical form.
I think there are misconceptions about the speed of obtaining correct anatomical form and structural integrity – At the moment I’m learning and feel like I am in that alphabet of motion stage again!! but I’ve seen the shorthand version implementing SL4 concepts and believe me there is absolutely no trade off of other efficiencies!!

WhiteTiger said:
I can see as the body ages proper anatomical form becomes more and more important in order to avoid injury.
Proper anatomical form is vitally important from the outset regardless of age – I know this now in hindsight having suffered with severe back problems after many years of training which hospitalised me and saw surgery in my old age – in my 30s!! When I look back now I see the trauma I placed upon my physical structure which was being caused by incorrect anatomical form – I make sure I’m correct now though and hopefully its not too late!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JenniM said:
Proper anatomical form is vitally important from the outset regardless of age – I know this now in hindsight having suffered with severe back problems after many years of training which hospitalised me and saw surgery in my old age – in my 30s!! When I look back now I see the trauma I placed upon my physical structure which was being caused by incorrect anatomical form – I make sure I’m correct now though and hopefully its not too late!
This is another of the reasons I find SL4 interesting, ma'am, already at the ripe old age of 29, I often feel a twinge in my hips or lower back, even though I have never really been much of a kicker.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
With respect, I think you have failed to read the rest of the posts here before making such a sweeping statement.
Mr. Curran, I think you may have missed the humor in Frank Trejo's comment. It was tongue in cheek. That is when he slaps THEM, they swallow their tongue and their cheek is broken and residing on the other side of their face.

Oss Mr. Trejo, I personally thought it was hilarious.

-Respectfully,
-Michael

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
This is another of the reasons I find SL4 interesting, ma'am, already at the ripe old age of 29, I often feel a twinge in my hips or lower back, even though I have never really been much of a kicker.
Thats your body giving you a wake up call alright!! Take heed of it now Simon and dont just do what I did and just soldiered on regardless........I have to be very careful in what I am doing now several years post op but because I am now so aware of my structure and alignment through SL4 I am able to continue to train most effectively and not aggrevate my old injury :)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Mr. Curran, I think you may have missed the humor in Frank Trejo's comment. It was tongue in cheek. That is when he slaps THEM, they swallow their tongue and their cheek is broken and residing on the other side of their face.

-Respectfully,
-Michael
Sorry, my bad:asian:

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JenniM said:
Thats your body giving you a wake up call alright!! Take heed of it now Simon and dont just do what I did and just soldiered on regardless........I have to be very careful in what I am doing now several years post op but because I am now so aware of my structure and alignment through SL4 I am able to continue to train most effectively and not aggrevate my old injury :)
Yes ma'am, I will be implementing the changes we learned over with you at least for myself, and am already trying to put them into context with the beginning basics.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just so that you all know, the "Trejo" posting on here is NOT Frank Trejo. It is my brown belt student, Matt Trejo. But yes, his comment was still meant as "tongue in cheek".

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Just so that you all know, the "Trejo" posting on here is NOT Frank Trejo. It is my brown belt student, Matt Trejo. But yes, his comment was still meant as "tongue in cheek".

Jamie Seabrook

:rolleyes: I would hope people would have noticed that.... It clearly states he is a brown belt in the name part of his post.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:

-Respectfully,
-Michael

I'm so confused.. I thought that 'Trejo' is someone from Canada.. Not Mr. Frank Trejo..

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
I'm so confused.. I thought that 'Trejo' is someone from Canada.. Not Mr. Frank Trejo..
Considering that his profile say's "Brown Belt" I think you are correct....
Having established that I believe he was still being toungue in cheek about slap checks being for sound effects. At least I sincerely hope so. If not, we have a long thread about to start.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bode said:
Considering that his profile say's "Brown Belt" I think you are correct....
Having established that I believe he was still being toungue in cheek about slap checks being for sound effects. At least I sincerely hope so. If not, we have a long thread about to start.
I will re-iterate, Matt Trejo is a Brown Belt of mine, and yes he is from London, Ontario, Canada. And yes, his comment was definietly meant as tongue and cheek.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I missed that post for some reason! My fault.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The way I learned the slap, was that the slap was to be used as a parry, I never heard of it done to stimulate muscles and affect speed

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, but, but ... I dinna read their profile Captain.

My bad, but it was still funny thinking about Frank Trejo slapping someone up side the head. OUCH!!!!

-Michael

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JenniM said:
we have tested this in class over and over again and the results are unquestionable
I've got two words for you: Double blind. Until then, it's contestable and most assuredly questionable.