English Longsword

louie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Several groups have been researching period text manuscripts describing methods of English Longsword, here's a sample of their interpretation....

The English Primary Sources are -

Harley Manuscript 3542, folios 82-85
"The Harleian Manuscript" consists of eight solo drills, seven paired drills, four fragmentary paired drills, and a mnemonic rhyme, referred to as "the Man that Would." This forms the basis for beginning level curriculum, as well as providing key concepts and philosophies for the style of swordplay the text represents.

Cottonian Manuscript Titus XXV, folios 105r-v
"The Cotton Titus Manuscript" is a short set of linked attacks, grouped under "Strokes of the 2-Hand Sword" and "Strokes at the 2-Hand Staff." This text serves mainly as a "bridge" between the Harleian Manuscript and the Ledall Manuscript, although it does offer some insight concerning the use of the sword as being related to the use of the staff.

British Royal Library Additional Manuscript 39,542
"The Ledall Manuscript" consists of 38 plays, and is so-called because of a signature at the end of the text reading "J. Ledall." This text serves to further clarify important concepts of longsword use in an English style, and also acts as a sort of link between the late medieval Harleian Manuscript and the Renaissance works of Englishman George Silver.

Details of these sources can be found at-
http://www.blackfalconschool.com/sources.shtml

Louie

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would thank the videos as well, but being drunk means that I can't follow the motions. :D
So I "only" thank the sources - here we thought that the Harleian is the only remaining English source. (it's somewhat ironical that even when being drunk like hell I can translate English)

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, Chivalry Bookshelf has a very nice collection of translations of the fechtbuchs and some DVD's of the modern best guesses for them. Christian Tobler in particular has some great books on the subject.

Matt

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Chivalry Bookshelf has a very nice collection of translations of the fechtbuchs and some DVD's of the modern best guesses for them. Christian Tobler in particular has some great books on the subject.
By "English," in this case, he means from the British Cultural Tradition, as opposed to Liechtenauer or Fiore and not "written or availble to be read in the English language."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Latest Discussions