Empi and Ananku!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, in my Sensei's continuing efforts to push the few white belts that care to higher levels, we have begun the kata Empi in class...I love it!
We have also worked on Ananku, which is not a Shotokan kata, but is wildly practical in it's applications, in my opinion...
As I look back over these first few months of class, I'm quite astonished with what I've learned...3 Taikayokus, 5 Heians, Jion, Bassai Dai, Tekki Shodan, Kanku Dai, 2 bo kata, Tjimandjet...and now Empi and Ananku...whew!

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
That should be enough kata for a brown belt, Really, I personally would slow down and work on what I have already learned. Then again, I learn kata very quickly as well. Always have.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what level does your sensei teach Empi / Wanshu? This kata does require a good strong set of fundamentals.

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
That should be enough kata for a brown belt, Really, I personally would slow down and work on what I have already learned. Then again, I learn kata very quickly as well. Always have.
I agree...
Here is my Sensei's take on teaching advanced kata to the beginners and less experienced members of the dojo: Take the material in two different levels: the first is the basic kata(the Taikayokus and Heians) which are what we as beginners are responsible for. The second is the advanced kata(Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai, Empi, Jion, et. al.) which, other than Jion, we are not responsible for. When we start, we work exclusively on the the basic kata and nothing else...After some time spent immersed in the basic katas, Sensei will teach one of the advanced kata that are out of our reach experientially to push us forward a little...We work on whatever kata it would happen to be for a while, and then return to the basic kata, with the hopes that what we have learned in the advanced kata will translate to a better understanding of what we're responsible for...It works! For example, our work on Jion has helped me with Heian Sandan(think the middle sections) There are many other examples...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have gained alot in a very short time. Practice, practice, practice and learn what you know in depth.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
All those Kata are anough for at least decade of study just to scratch the surface. Funakoshi spent almost ten years on Naifanchi alone. As someone said, less is more.

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
All those Kata are anough for at least decade of study just to scratch the surface. Funakoshi spent almost ten years on Naifanchi alone. As someone said, less is more.
Indeed, I agree...
However the lessons that I have learned in the study of some of these advanced kata have absolutely helped me with the kata that concern me at the moment, which is what Sensei had in mind...

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WOW! You have worked on alot of stuff in a short time. Remember, knowing the pattern of a kata does not mean you know the kata. All the little applications and variations of those applications.

We all do this, we call things basics, sounds like these are the easy parts, the easy kata or techniques. Try to see these as "fundamentals" rather than basics. I know, what's the difference? The way your mind see's things is the difference.

Basics, easy beginner stuff.

Fundamentals, neccessary stuff to build on.

my $0.02 :asian:

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I once spent 3 years on Fukugata Ni. (this was after earning shodan) I still love this Kata and work it into every workout of my own.

You have covered a great deal of material I don't think I have ever met a Sensei who would cover that much material in such a short period of time. Keep us informed Iam intrigued.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree Fukyugata Ni being a great kata. Though its supposed to be basic it is but it isn't depends on how deep you look at it.

I also agree alot has been covered in a short time.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You are learning the kata way too fast. This is only going to hurt you in the long run. Your instructor should know better.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all do this, we call things basics, sounds like these are the easy parts, the easy kata or techniques. Try to see these as "fundamentals" rather than basics. I know, what's the difference? The way your mind see's things is the difference.

Basics, easy beginner stuff.

Fundamentals, neccessary stuff to build on.

Good point! For instance Pinan Nidan (Heian Shodan in Shotokan) should NOT be seen as "easy beginner stuff." It contains plenty of advanced material that can take you well past 1. Dan alone. My instructor told me his former master once held a black belt class on this Kata specifically, making every one of them feel like white belts again.

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score
nice list, although you should definitely focus on perfecting each of the katas (in a non insulting way, of course), starting with the first one you learned. i cant recognize some of those katas, probably because theyre not goju ryu lol...i know the 3 taikyukus, 5 pinans, jion, 3 bo katas, ananku...empi == supar empi? that might be spelled wrong, ima check tomorrow. i think thats a sandan bokan kata, im pretty sure im learning that soon.

again, quite the list...but make sure you keep up with it all, proportionally ;)

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
nice list, although you should definitely focus on perfecting each of the katas (in a non insulting way, of course), starting with the first one you learned. i cant recognize some of those katas, probably because theyre not goju ryu lol...i know the 3 taikyukus, 5 pinans, jion, 3 bo katas, ananku...empi == supar empi? that might be spelled wrong, ima check tomorrow. i think thats a sandan bokan kata, im pretty sure im learning that soon.

again, quite the list...but make sure you keep up with it all, proportionally ;)
I've heard it pronounced Enpi(JKA), but it's original name was Wanshu, if my memory serves me correctly...
We'll see how things go with the keeping up with it all, not sure that I can with everything that's going on at the moment..

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
empi == supar empi? that might be spelled wrong, ima check tomorrow.

Empi = Enpi = Wanshu

Of course, the names are dependent on the style.

Suparinpei is probably the kata you're thinking about, and is also known as Pichurin. Completely different kata than Empi / Enpi / Wanshu, and a rather lengthy one, too, if my memory serves me correctly.

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score
i know wansu. maybe the 'h' is just left out in my dojo or something.

and yeah, im pretty sure thats it...although i forgot to look up the name lol. ima try again tonight =D its extremely lengthy...its going to be a pain to learn it, but a great learn after im done.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a ton of kata for a beginner, and still quite a few even at the intermediate stage. My first instructor is well known for stating it takes 3 years of consistant practice to master one kata - and he's right. Take your time, work hard on your kata and establish the meanings for each move, as well as multiple variations on them. It'll really make your understanding grow.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, in my Sensei's continuing efforts to push the few white belts that care to higher levels, we have begun the kata Empi in class...I love it!
We have also worked on Ananku, which is not a Shotokan kata, but is wildly practical in it's applications, in my opinion...
As I look back over these first few months of class, I'm quite astonished with what I've learned...3 Taikayokus, 5 Heians, Jion, Bassai Dai, Tekki Shodan, Kanku Dai, 2 bo kata, Tjimandjet...and now Empi and Ananku...whew!

I dont know the kata empi, it is not tought in the system i study. but, Ananku is tought at 7th kyu in the system i study. kusanku sho and kusanku dai are 3rd kyu kata (brown belt) and the other kata I again do not recogonize the names of and are not in my system. but at brown belt level we know at least 4 bo kata, and usualy several other kata for one or two weapons kata and 16 empty hand kata. but at brown belt we have 6 empty hand kata to learn including kusanku sho and dai..and usualy 4 or 5 weapons kata. makes for a lot of learning, but then learning is why we are there.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chinto,
Hope this helps you recognize the kata mentioned.

Taikayokus = similar to Fukyugata series in Shorin Ryu
5 Heians = Shotokan's version of Shorin ryu Pinan Kata
Bassai Dai = Typically Shorin Ryu's Passai Sho or Itosu no Passai
Tekki Shodan = Naihanchi Shodan
Empi = Wanshu in Shorin Ryu
Jion is taught in some Shorin Ryu systems but not all I believe only in Matsumura Seito and possibly Seibukan.

Latest Discussions