Electric cars may be possible...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is something that might make electric cars actually useful...

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/23/video-the-battery-that-might-change-everything/

The recap: Graphene, a very simple carbon polymer, can be used as the basic component of a “supercapacitor” — an electrical power storage device that charges far more rapidly than chemical batteries. Unlike other supercapacitors, though, graphene’s structure also offers a high “energy density,” — it can hold a lot of electrons, meaning that it could conceivably rival or outperform batteries in the amount of charge it can hold. Kaner Lab researcher Maher El-Kady found a way to create sheets of graphene a single carbon atom thick by covering a plastic surface with graphite oxide solution and bombarding it with precisely controlled laser light.
That last sentence may sound pretty complicated, but the article’s author provides a translation for the layman.
He painted a DVD with a liquid carbon solution and stuck it into a standard-issue DVD burner.
The result was a shockingly thin supercapacitor which could store up a large amount of electrical energy in no time flat. The potential for this sort of discovery should be obvious. Unlike heavy metal batteries, the carbon compound is biodegradable and cheap to manufacture. And a battery made of layers of this material could charge your cell phone for a full day’s use in – wait for it – two seconds. A ramped up version could charge an electric car in a minute or two. (No word on how likely it will be to catch on fire, but bonus points if it doesn’t.)

Make an electric car that has the same ease of use as gas powered vehicles and I'll buy one....this might help...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lol... I'll read the article with interest. But your comment is pretty ignorant. As someone who's already saved about $4000 in fuel with an electric car, I can assure you that "useful" electric cars are already available.

I'll let you know what I think of the article once I've read it.

Edit. Okay. Read the article. Not too surprising. As I've said before, several times, the battery technology is going to improve because it benefits not just EVs but also laptops, tablets, smart phones and all sorts of other big money industries. There's big money in better batteries, which will only be a good thing for electric cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an electric car if it lasted longer. I spend about 125 a week on gas to get to work but an electric car wouldn't stay charged long enough to get to work and back home. And a hybrid wouldn't help since almost my entire trip is highway speeds.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an electric car if it lasted longer. I spend about 125 a week on gas to get to work but an electric car wouldn't stay charged long enough to get to work and back home. And a hybrid wouldn't help since almost my entire trip is highway speeds.

Hopefully, the range improves. Right now, the only car I'm aware of that has a range comparable to a gas car is the tesla, which is prohibitively expensive.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When the cost of the car itself, its maintainance and its ease of use becomes cheaper (or at least comparable to) than a smaller fuel efficient "normal" car I may consider one.

My sister bought a Prius...she tells me she wishes she just purchased a fuel efficient compact and saved the money (a headlight replacement recently cost her over $200!).

Shes a "tree hugging", Obama voting, public school teacher (love her anyways) and her opinion is that the batteries present an Eco problem and that electrical cars still require carbon producing electrical plants....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully, the range improves. Right now, the only car I'm aware of that has a range comparable to a gas car is the tesla, which is prohibitively expensive.

Not to mention somewhat fugly...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention somewhat fugly...
Tesla_roadster1_440.jpg

This car? fugly? I'll have to disagree with you there...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm more excited about the cell phone battery life cause mine sucks

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be great if that came to market, working as the article implies, and not costing an arm and a leg and a new born male child. I fear what industry might do to the cost, above and beyond actual costs. Especially considering the amount of money they already have tied up in current battery technology.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As with all technology, it will start off very expensive. In the lifecycle of technology, EVs (regardless of battery technology) are in the early adopter phase. Prices will come down until they settle into a range that people are willing to spend. Then, the features and benefits will improve while the prices remain stable. That's just how things work.

Look at the iPad. It's no less expensive now than when it was launched. It's faster, sleeker and holds more information, but the prices is stable because the market will bear it.

Same with cars. The auto industry doesn't lower prices when technology matures, even though it certainly costs them less to produce the cars. Instead, they put some more features in the car to justify the price.

To sum up, I expect that the prices of EVs will come down over time a little. I don't expect the price to come down much, because, frankly, if you do the math compared to a similar, gas powered car, the internal combustion engine doesn't stand a chance. From a consumer standpoint, the two biggest hurdles for EVs are range and speed to charge. Once those improve (and they will for the reasons outlined in this thread), we'll see more and more of them.

There will always be people who prefer gas engines. No doubt about it, and I think that's great. Speaking only for myself, I'm not at all interested in imposing my preference on other people. Instead, I'm for choices. Real choices. When I look at getting a new car, I want to think about what I need and be able to choose from between as many different technologies as possible. The more, the better.

And, as someone who drives an electric car every day, if you guys have any practical questions about it, I'll give you a frank and honest answer. Warts and all, no sugar coating. I've got about 20,000 miles on the LEAF now. Like most things, it fails to deliver in some areas, and exceeds my expectations in others.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I said it was an article that might show that electric cars might be made useful...I posted the article and people have commented on it...I won't keep posting on something that has run it's course...if something new and interesting comes up...I'll comment...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is good tech to look into. Super Caps have material that need to be controlled as well as the countries like China that allow them have more Electric Vehicle Fires and fire risk.

Latest Discussions