Elbow Strike - One Arm versus Two

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here is my take on teaching the elbow strikes.
Forms are for practice of individual skills of each isolated move. Forms are considered "simulated street fight" but not exactly the same. The moves can be plucked from the form and used in self defense exactly as they are done in the form, but for anyone to think, "would I follow this block with this attack," is not the purpose of forms. That is where the artistic aspect applies as forms are legitimate techniques arranged in a creative display.
:partyon:

As for the elbows of Oh Jang (Taegeuk 5th form), there are two applications used. At the top of the form (movements 10 and 12) are front elbow strikes to the body (palkup Momtong Ap Chigi). The question of why the opposite hand is used varies depending on if you use the cover first then strike method, or hit the palm as you strike. Both are legitimate techniqes and serve a different purpose.

To grab the fist first does add power to the strike for this reason. It is best to have your striking hand near your body with your striking elbow protruding forward in a firm position. If you are thrusting your elbow forward, and pulling your forearm in, one action is working slightly against the other. It might not be very noticeable, but when you grab the fist and hold it to your body, you are allowing all of the muscles of the striking side to drive forward without having to hold the forearm in position. Also, you are helping to "whip" the elbow strike around faster by pulling in on the fist or wrist.

For the other variation, when you strike your palm with the fist, you are allowing all of your force to enter the target, then stopping your attack without overshooting and leaving your ribs vulnerable. This also helps to follow up with a second technique of the same hand (back fist for instance). This is the same concept as when bowlers continue their arm upward after releasing the ball. Once the ball has left the hand, what difference does it make what you do with that arm? The fact is, if you stop your arm short, you have already made the decision and are contracting muscles before the release, thus affecting the power of the throw. Same in a golf swing. Here, we do not want the arm to overswing the target, yet you do not want the muscles of your striking arm to start pulling back before you make contact. Thus the other hand acts as a stopper. ]:roflmao:[

Another reason for both movements is the reactionary torquing of muscles. When you cover first, you are twising everything in one circular direction, and pulling the opposite hand back, somewhat like you do in a single punch. In the other version, when you meet the fist with the palm, you are expanding your chest muscles, then pulling them together in opposite directions to facilitate the drive forward. This is like the "butterfly" exercise weight machine where you squeeze the two arms together.

Movements 16 and 18 in the middle of Oh jang have the palm pulling in to simulate drawing the opponent's body, or head into the strike (as others have indicated here). This is very devestating in real life as it gives the head no room to bounce away. Imagine breaking boards with a front elbow strike and have the board holders bend their elbows on impact. Their proper suppot from behind stabilizes the target as does your hand behind the opponent's head. Also, when breaking boards, I usually use the "meaty" portion of the forearm rather than the elbow bone which would likely shatter (for those who are not yet experienced on this subject). In street defense, most targets on a person's body are not strong enough to shatter the elbow.

Now, as for self defense application from Poomse to street, most of these moves are finishing techniques, so they would more realistically be used after you have dazed or wounded your opponent. In that aspect, forms show the techniques out of context, but they are used for self defense, and forms help to improve those skills. It is true that in real life, you would use the elbows in a variety of ways, and usually keep your opposite hand free for blocking, and grasping the opponent's body. However, when the finishing move is ready, this is how you would do it - - so practice both ways.

On the subject of the rear elbow (or backward elbow) and side elbow strike to the rear, these are often reinforced with the palm pushing, or striking the fist. This is for the purpose of returning the "Reaction Force" of the initial strike back into the target so that it is not lost. They make a hammer with a hallow head and a floating piece of metal inside which has the same effect. It drives the hammer head down with a secondary force that prevents the hammer from bouncing back up from the Reaction Force of the strike.:hammer:

Also, someone mentioned the "backfist" with the sidekick. Ever since I was a beginner student, I was taught to do the side kick with two different hand positions. One with the guards up for protection, and the other with the backfist along side the leg, and the reaction hand pulled back to the hip to stabilize for more power. In this case, the backfist is not intended to strike a target. Its motion is there to help keep the upper body stable, so that the lower body can exert more power forward with the kick.
:btg:

These are just my perspectives, and I realize others approach training differently. I hope I do not offend anyone with my lengthy explanation. I don't think I am disagreeing with anyone here, just sharing my personal insights.

Respectfully,
Sr. Master Eisenhart

Latest Discussions