Eddie Bravo - Jiu Jitsu Unleashed

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've browsed through this book and noticed that there was a little Gracie bashing here and there.

During Grapplers Quest, my son was rolling against a 10th Planet JJ kid during a no-gi match. The boys coach was pretty confident in his students [no-gi] abilities. There was no doubt that the young man was very good but he still lost to my son who trains under Gracie and trains in Gi only (with the exception of some wrestling classes on the side.)

IMO, I say train in both if you can but if I had to choose just one, it would be gi.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Eddie Bravo and his concepts. On the issue of the gi or no gi, why not cross train in both? I started in no gi sub grappling. If both players are sweaty, it's going to be a little harder going for certain technique. Sometimes (this is something I need to correct) I bank on the sweat factor to improve my position.

Then one of my training partners bought a gi the same time I did, and started training one or two rolls out of the evening in gi. I can honestly say that I've become more methodical, improved my base, and increased my potential to sweep by using a gi, then going straight back into no gi.

I've heard from others that training both equally is the way to go. There are a ton of small MMA clubs out there that completely ignore the gi, and I think they're missing out.

Anyway, in Mastering the Rubber Guard, Bravo states that on gi vs. no gi, initially training in no gi and then rolling in a gi is a lot like blasting through a residential area in a sport bike. There's a lot of power there (being from a no gi mindset) but you're going to have to slow down and take a turn.

I like that analogy, and see it when I roll.

Train both. It never hurts.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think he has come up with some fantastic stuff.

On the down side his game requires that you where pants most of the time with a t-shirt. That is an issue with quite a bit of his material.

Latest Discussions