Ebay Auction

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm... a tad out of my price range, I think!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are buying is the patent on the device so that you can in turn develop and sell it. So you have to decide if you think you can make enough money off the product to be worth the cost of buying the rights to it.

Not a bad idea actually, sell a patent for an idea on ebay. however I think they are asking too much as I don't think anyone will think they can make that back by selling the developed prodct

OP
agemechanic03

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the IDEA of trying to sell a patent and all. But I don't think that one can be developed. Sorry, but it looks like that setup is a lost one. And yes, that is WAAAAAY too much money for that patent.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are buying is the patent on the device so that you can in turn develop and sell it. So you have to decide if you think you can make enough money off the product to be worth the cost of buying the rights to it.

Not a bad idea actually, sell a patent for an idea on ebay. however I think they are asking too much as I don't think anyone will think they can make that back by selling the developed prodct
Exactly. If you project a $200 profit per unit (and the 2mm doesn't count the start up costs for production, which may be that much again??), you'd have to sell 10,000 units just to make the patent money back. :D Better have some deep pockets and decades (maybe your grandkids' lifetime?) to wait for your investment to maybe break even. ;)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The auction ended and no one bid on it.

I have a basement full of martial arts gear, books and magazines. Maybe I should start getting a return on my investment....

Miles

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to Horror Stories.

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now why would someone buy a patent for something that someone else has already invented?? You can buy these, already made and made WELL all over the place.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to Horror Stories.

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

I am not trying to question the staff, but I am confused. May I ask for a clarification of why this thread was moved?

I agree that $2,000,000 USD is a lot of money as mentioned for a product / patent and for the reasons given of the start up cost associated and the return on investment.

To me this is a sad story of someone thinking they patented an idea and now deserve to get paid for it and set a lot of money for the price tag. I do not see this as a true horror story as with some of the other threads in this forum.

I understand that I have a Patent (* with others *) and defensive publication. I also understand that if there is a patent the easier way around this is to get a copy of the patent in a patent search and then define an improvement and reference this as part of your patent. Then go into business with the product. Cost would be in the $10,000 to $100,000 range for patent and research. (* Based upon a quick guess, not including time of inventor, but including the legal costs. *)

So while I think this is a sad business deal, I am confused about the "Horror" of it all.

Thank you.

OP
agemechanic03

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree Rich, I just posted it as to give everyone something to laugh about, not really a horror in my eyes. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin. Note:

I've moved this to the Bar and Grill since some think it's more appropriate there.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
Assist. Admin.

Latest Discussions