easy way to imporovee on kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's is the way you do to imporve the height of your kicks, I am talking the easy ones like the front kick, the roundhouse kick and the side kick all of them to the head?

It's not complicated to my to do fornt kicks to the head, but the roundhouse kick and the hook kick (ala super foot) I just can't do them, also the side kick is easy to the chest level but aimed to the head and placed there is very complicated.

Manny

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dynamic Flexibility is key here. Doing exercises such as leg swings front side and back help put ur hip and leg through its range of motions. Also controlled kicks, doing the kicks really slow and concentrating on the mechanics helps strengthen the outer hip muscles that actually raise the leg. Try just breaking the kick down each time going slightly higher, in a couple weeks you will notice a difference

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reputition, as always the more you practice the better they will be. Also get on a daily routine for strecthing, that will help.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, there is no "easy way."

Training kicking is hard work.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dynamic Flexibility is key here. Doing exercises such as leg swings front side and back help put ur hip and leg through its range of motions. Also controlled kicks, doing the kicks really slow and concentrating on the mechanics helps strengthen the outer hip muscles that actually raise the leg. Try just breaking the kick down each time going slightly higher, in a couple weeks you will notice a difference
It is not easy but what is said above will work. There are tons of height of kick threads on MT. Do a search and you will find all kinds of great tips. Again non of it is easy or quick. Like anything you have to put the work into it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technique also plays a big part. I have met some very flexible students who are so flexible they can almost tie themselves in a knot yet they cant kick high. I have also met some students with reasonably poor flexibility who kick head height without much difficulty at all. The difference is perfect technique.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The difference is perfect technique.

Achieved, in part, with muscle strength specific to that movement.

That is to say, while their technique may be perfect NOW, if they stop training those kicking muscles, the muscles will eventually atrophy and they will find themselves unable to perform that movement, despite having had, at one time, "perfect technique."

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the bit about having a beer. I'll give that a try.

Well I am glad I could help, I mean I never understand why drinking really effects one emotion. I am always a happy camper when I drink a few.
icon10.gif

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is no easy way but through practice and patience it can be done.

First, you need to train it in the proper technique/manner.

The lower back muscles and legs should be flexible so do stretching exercises. Stretching not only reduces the risk of injury but it will make your legs limber and it will benefit your sidekicks, front kicks and roundhouse kicks.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy no, but stretching is the hardest way, and the only way.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you want to train kicks than go and train, remember training is the key to any technique. The problem is people do not want to hear it takes time, but what else do we really have but time. Throw each kick 10,000 times and when done repeet the cycle another 10,000 times, sooner or later you will be where you feel like you should be.

Latest Discussions